Chapter 48

Chapter 48

That night, as I worked on my homework, I heard a tap on my window. When I looked up, Robbie gave me a small wave.

"Hey, you're back," I said, opening the large window that led to my fire escape.

"Yeah, I got back a few hours ago," he said, climbing in. He wore black dress slacks and a gray sweater; his hair was messy and neat in the way I believed only Robbie could manage.

"Why didn't you text me? My dad is coming home late today."

"I just wanted to see you for a moment," he said, kissing me. 

"Well, I'm watching a video on thermodynamics because my teacher absolutely sucks. It's almost done, though," I said, sitting in front of my computer.

"That's okay, finish," he answered and nodded towards the screen, taking a seat behind me.

I leaned back against him, "though I guess if you're here, you can just explain it to me; you're much nicer to look at."

"Really, you don't think the hair coming out of his ear is charming?" He joked, pointing at my screen.

"Hmm, now that you mention it," I said, and he pressed a kiss to my temple.

I turned to kiss him, my hand coming up to his cheek. I felt his hand on my hip pulling me closer.

"I think we have some time before my dad comes home," I said, already breathless.

"Hmmm, maybe we shouldn't," he said, pushing me back and pressing a kiss to my forehead.

"Why? Is everything okay?" I asked, I could feel a sort of tension in him. 

He looked down and grabbed my hand lacing his fingers with mine.

"Robbie?"

"Umm, so apparently Noah knows about everything," he said, running his thumb over my knuckles.

I closed my eyes, already not liking where this conversation was going.

"Yeah. We were broken up when I told him. He was there for me when I wasn't feeling well."

He let out a dry laugh, "yes, of course, he was."

"Robbie—"

"Why would you tell him, Lia?" He asked, sounding genuinely disappointed.

"How do you know he knows?" I asked. They didn't have classes together other than Drama, and Noah spent the entire hour with me.

"He told me."

"He told you.." I repeated slowly, confused. I started feeling a slow heat creep up as anger flooded into my chest. Why the fuck would Noah say that?

"Mhm," Robbie said, looking at me expectantly.

"Why?" I asked, shaking my head in confusion.

"He came with us last weekend to look at a property that Maria found out about."

"What property? Why?" I asked. Then a new sort of feeling started creeping up on me. Like when your body realizes something, but your brain hasn't made the connection yet.

"Apparently, he and Chris are quite chummy. They play lacrosse together, I believe."

"What property did you go see?" I asked again, feeling pinpricks of anxiety on the back of my neck.

"A barn behind my house. We bugged it a few weeks ago, and we recorded some people saying they were meeting there today, so we went to see about what."