Chapter 52

Chapter 52

The following morning I walked to the bus stop by my house when I paused to read a sign for a local show from a band I followed in Miami. A car slowly stopped next to me, and I shoved my hand in my skirt's pocket, fingering my keys. This was normal. Cars usually rolled to a crawl when I walked down the street, especially when I wore my Trinity Uniform.

Usually, they yelled out something gross from a rolled-down window before quickly speeding off. This time they didn't. By the time I turned to look at them, they were already turning at the corner of the block.

Nothing about it would have seemed weird except that something suddenly felt off once I made it to the bus stop. As if I were being watched. I felt the pinprick feeling again on my skin and a chill rolled through me like a wave. I looked around and saw...nothing out of the ordinary.

I rocked on my feet, antsy for the bus to get arrive so I could leave already. When it crawled to a stop in front of me, I practically jumped over the steps, desperate to leave.

While school provided a sense of safety, I couldn't shake the eerie feeling off for the rest of the day. When school finished, I found myself actually happy to have one of Lana's committee meetings. I waited in one of the library study rooms for her to come.

"Hey, I got your text," she said, dropping her bag on the desk. She was wearing her dark green school coat as if she was ready to head out. 

"Where's your folder?" I asked.

She gave me a tentative smile, "about that, Abby, Maria, and I kind of took care of the next event. We put your name as the co-planner, so you still get the hours; we just figured you needed some space, you know, with the break-up and everything. We didn't want to stress you out more."

"You didn't have to do that. I volunteered for the events. It's my responsibility."

"Don't worry about it babe, it wasn't as complicated as I thought it would be. Maria has planned so many of these things she finished practically everything herself in like two hours. It was...impressive."

"Oh."

"So yeah, do you want to talk about it?" She asked.

"No."

"Well, Abby and I are getting ice cream if you want to join us," she offered and looked at me expectantly.

I suddenly started feeling paranoid like I had when Nicole and I would go on walks with Cameron. If we went out to eat, would they start following them too?

"No. I have a lot of homework. If we don't have to plan anything, I think I'm just going to head home," I said, picking up my things.

"Well, we're going to be on the upper west side, so you know, just let us know."

"Thanks," I said not really listening. I suddenly just wanted my bed. I walked out into the chilly November air and held my books a little tighter to my chest as I walked toward the bus.

"Lia!" I heard Noah yell.

I stopped. Apart of me told myself to keep walking, another was dreading going home.

"What?"

"My mom is having a dinner party. She asked me to invite you."

"When?" I asked, already trying to spin an excuse.

"Tonight," he said, almost embarrassed at how last minute the plans were being brought up.

"Can't; I have homework," I said, walking toward my stop.