Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Justin ordered a cab picked me up early in the morning. I had told Maria we would interview her for the paper, and she seemed excited about it. I told Justin this, and he seemed really happy to hear it.

"You nervous?" He asked me as I came into the cab.

"Kind of."

"It's a bit nerve-wracking at first, but once you get started, it's easy."

I nodded and gave him a small smile. 

"You have the questions?"

"Mhm," I said, holding up my notebook.

Justin gave the cab driver the address to Maria's house.

I pulled out my purse, "It's a pricey trip we can split."

He put his hand over mine, "don't worry about it; this is on the school's dime."

"Really?"

"Yeah, we can even get lunch afterward and put it on the card."

I gave him an impressed look.

"So you know this guy? Ted?"

"I've met him briefly a few times."

"Would have preferred his brother."

"Well, their father passed away."

"Well, he would have been great, but I meant Allen."

"Oh." This is the second time he mentioned interviewing Allen. I could tell he was disappointed we weren't. I had thought of a lame excuse as to why it had to be Ted and he kind of bought it, so when Maria told me Allen would be out of the country with Robbie, it was a big relief that I didn't have to lie anymore.

When we got to the Manor, Maria met us at the front steps. She gave me a hug and kissed my temple, then shook Justin's hand.

"You were president last year," she said cocking her head to the side.

"Hopefully this year as well," Justin said, suddenly sounding flustered. Maria's beauty tended to have that effect on people if they weren't used to it.

She gave him a big smile, and I thought he would faint on the spot, "well, I'm sure you'll win this year as well. Come inside. Lia, I think Teddy is in the study; you know your way around. Come Justin we can do this in the gardens."

"I'm going to use the bathroom first," I said.

She gave me a thumbs-up as she led Justin towards the French doors in the kitchen.

I ran upstairs and prayed that Robbie's room was not locked.

It wasn't, thank goodness.

I noted despite myself that the room smelled good like him. Clean and woodsy. I walked along the bookcases, my fingers passing gently over the spines, looking for where he would have placed the journals.

Nothing. I paused on a picture he had of us leaning against some books. I felt the pinpricks of tears in the corners of my eyes and then shook it off.

I checked under his bed, which was surprisingly spotless.

I remembered his catch-all drawer. Nothing. Finally, I checked the chest at the foot of his bed. Usually, there were only blankets here. I shoved my arm inside and felt around. Bingo. I pulled out the blankets and found the four I was looking for, then shoved them into my backpack. I placed the blankets back as orderly as I could. Robbie would notice if something was messy.