Chapter 49

Chapter 49

Nicole actually arrived the following day.

"Well, look who's here," I heard my dad's voice say from the living room. I had been asleep and slowly dragged myself out of bed to investigate.

She stood at the door with her duffle bag on her shoulder; I gave her a confused look and looked down at my watch. My sleep-deprived brain trying to make sense of everything.

Nicole waved at me with a smile on her face, "There was a flight at midnight. Cameron picked me up; I spent the night at his place," she explained as I ran over to her and threw my arms around her neck.

She kissed my temple, "we'll go to your room?" She whispered.

I nodded, suddenly overcome with emotions. I thought I had managed to stuff down in the three hours of sleep I had gotten.

"Cecilia?" My dad asked as I wiped my cheeks with my sweatshirt.

"I'm fine. Just stressed," I said as an explanation and followed Nicole into my room.

"Why don't you skip school today? I can forge a parent's note really well," Nicole asked, setting down her bag and sitting on a chair.

I fell back on my bed and put an arm over my eyes.

"I have to stay for this scholarship club. I signed up to clean and decorate the school for a tour tomorrow."

"Do you want me to pretend to be you and call in sick?" She offered.

"No, it's okay; I need the money."

"Well, I'll be there to pick you up as soon as it's over, and I'm here all weekend," Nicole said.

I threw my arms around her again, "I'm so happy you're here."

"Of course, babe. Get ready for school."

—-

Nicole joined me on my trek to Trinity. She was meeting Cameron once we got on campus. In a very uncharacteristic manner, he decided to skip class, and they were going to spend the day together.

Cameron waited for us on the bus bench as the bus rolled to a stop.

When I got off the bus, he enveloped me in a hug that was a little tighter and longer than expected.

"I'm fine," I mumbled into his sweater, "it's hard to breathe, though."

"It will get better."

"No, you're squeezing my ribcage."

"Oh, sorry," he said, letting me go.

"Have you umm, talked to him," I asked, looking down at my shoes.

"No. He doesn't really talk to anyone these days. Lia, I have no idea where this is coming from. every time the guy talks about you, it seems as if he's crazy about you."

Not crazy enough.

I shrugged, "I'm going to head inside, have fun," I said, giving Nicole a hug.

I sat down in my usual seat at the back of the math class. I felt anxiety settle as the time got closer to the last morning bell, and Robbie still hadn't shown up.

Finally, he did.

I hated that he looked fine. His hair was still wet, and his pants looked neatly pressed.

"Hi," I said, my voice catching in my throat.

He didn't say a word. He sat down and took out his notebook.