Chapter 55

Chapter 55

That night we worked till late. Noah in a move that would have made Nicole's crime show obsession proud, found a bulletin board in his parents office and set it up in his room. 

Here's what we were able to put together that night:

Someone named Gray was hired to kill his father (we put a sticky note with the word maybe over it). Gray rammed us with his Hummer. That one we knew for sure. That's the guy I heard while in the freezer, and we saw outside the dilapidated house in New York.

Ted (after some internet sleuthing) had spent 10 years in prison and got out three and a half years ago. Noah noted that it was just before Robbie's father had the accident.

The internet sleuthing also let us know he was in a legal battle with his ex-wife (who lived in Brazil) over custody of his two children, aged 15 and 11.

We had a section of the board for his grandmother. Noah found a picture of her online, and we had sticky notes underneath. One indicating that she threatened my family. Another stated that she apparently lived in the old barn in the woods behind their house. I really wanted to get my hands on that journal she wrote.

Noah believed that it would probably be a dead-end, and we should put all of our efforts into cracking Ted.

Something in me would not let it go.

My reasons were a mixture of curiosity and pettiness.

I knew she had been in a loveless marriage. She let me know that when she offered me money to stay away.

Through the power of the internet, we found out she had gone missing for some time in the seventies and eighties. Everyone believed she had been part of a string of murders along with some other young women who had gone missing. We found the newspaper article where they found her and brought her back to her (worried) husband.

An archived article from the local paper mentioned she lived in the barn throughout those years, under a fake identity; the report stated she worked for the family that originally owned the Bennett Mansion. There was an interview with him where they described her as flighty in conversations but a hard worker.

We also had a spot for Robbie's paternal grandfather; we found out he was reasonably wealthy. He handled finances for a bank in New York. He passed away suddenly in the mid-90s.

The last thing we looked at was the P.I's phone. Noah said he would hire his own P.I to look into some of the phone numbers that had made calls to the cell phone. 

"Tomorrow, we'll look into his mother's side. Get some sleep, princess," Noah said when we looked at the time and realized it was three in the morning.

I didn't even argue with him. I was so tired, and Rome wasn't built in a day.

In the morning, we both headed out to school at the same time.

"Shit, I didn't do my math homework," he said while we were in the elevator.

"Noah, how do you forget these things?"

"I don't know. How do you remember?"

"I write it down."

"How do you remember to write it down?" he asked.

"Habit, Noah. Start writing it in your agenda. Or put an alarm on your phone."

"Well, too late now. You know, thinking about it, I might have a test too," Noah said, smiling sheepishly.