Chapter 54

Chapter 54

After we fell asleep again, I felt restless. I could hear Noah snoring on the floor next to me. I waited anxiously in his bed, looking at the shadows in his room. At 4:45, I couldn't take it anymore. I mean, it was almost five, and five was a reasonable hour, right?

I sat up on his bed and noticed there was a light coming from underneath his door. Careful not to step on a sleeping Noah, I walked out of his room.

"Good morning," a maid said and gave me a look that had more meaning within it than Noah and I deserved.

I smiled at her, "good morning. Is anyone up?"

"No, just staff. We're getting everything ready for the day."

"Ohh. Okay," I said almost awkwardly.

"You need me to wash your uniform?"

"I'm sorry?"

She looked me up and down.

"I remember from last time," she said. Just leave it outside his door. It takes about an hour.

"Oh, okay. Thank you," I said, wanting to disappear on the spot.

Mercifully she switched the subject, "breakfast isn't ready, but there is coffee in the kitchen," she said, a small smile on her lips.

"Oh!" I said, my expression brightening.

"Over there," she said, pointing down a long hallway.

The kitchen was a large industrial-style kitchen with more countertops and islands than I thought would ever be necessary. It was bustling with staff getting ready for the day.

"Good morning," I said to no one in particular.

I received a gruff nod from what looked like a chef, another woman I recognize as a maid looked at me inquisitively.

"Sweetheart, breakfast ain't ready yet. But I can make you toast," A woman offered.

"No. Just looking for the coffee," I said, not wanting to be bothersome.

I thought Robbie's house was always busy, yet usually, in the mornings, it was just Darla making scrambled eggs and one of the older maids dusting in the background.

"Over there, ma'am," she said, pointing to the coffee machines that had a full pot ready and hot for drinking.

One of the cooks came to help me as soon as she saw me pick up the pot.

"It's okay, don't worry about me," I said, taken aback at how the apartment was run.

I grabbed a white mug and filled it with coffee and milk. Then I grabbed another one and did the same.

"The library is quiet," the same maid from earlier suggested and pointed towards a room with double doors.

I nodded gratefully. It was almost as if she read my mind.

When it was 5:30, I went back into Noah's room. I squatted near his face.

"Noah?" I asked, shaking his shoulder

"What?"

"It's time to wake up," I said gently.

"No."

I frowned, "yes."

"No."

"Noah," I said again.

"Go away."

"You promised we would start right away. We need to get ready and go over some things. Here I brought you coffee," I said, placing the mug near his head.