Chapter 25 (Lana)

Chapter 25

Lana

When I walked outside, Lia was reading her book on the hammock with a blanket over her. I wondered if she took a book everywhere she went.

"I love your family," She said as I joined her on the hammock.

"Really? They're so embarrassing."

"No. They're wonderful," Lia said and rested her head on my shoulder. I brushed back her bangs and slipped my arm under her neck.

"You know," She started, "I can count on both hands the number of times my family, and I have eaten dinner together. I get that my parents are just doing their best, and so, it feels ungrateful to say, but I don't know... like—that stuff is nice."

"It can get annoying," I said.

"Hmm. I'd like to have that one day."

"Really?" I said, not expecting that response. Lia had two little brothers. I thought she would commiserate on how annoying they were.

"Yeah. Why are you surprised?"

"I don't know you're so artsy and like into math; I never thought of you as a nuclear family type."

"Yeah, I mean, don't get me wrong, I want to have a career, but I also want a family. A close one that eats dinner together every day and talks to each other about what's going on in their lives. You know, they just generally have time for each other. I've never had that." She said, "I mean don't you feel loved? Isn't that nice?"

"Your family loves you," I said, looking down at her.

"I know, just it's different, I guess. I always feel bad about asking my family for anything. It can feel lonely. I'm sure no matter what, your parents are there for you."

"Yeah, they are." I said, "thanks, Lia, I sometimes take them for granted, I guess," I said, kissing her forehead, and I felt a little surge of love for the family that drove me insane moments ago.

"So does it bother you my little sister keeps talking about Robbie? I told her you guys broke up, but I don't think she understands what that means. She has a huge crush on Robbie; she thinks the two of you are married so, you're kind of her hero."

"No. It's fine," Lia said and nervously looked down at her hands.

"What?" I asked, shifting to lean on my arm.

"I kissed Noah again," she blurted out and then shut her eyes really tight.

"Okay," I said, smoothing out the curls at her temple.

"Well, he kissed me, but I didn't stop him."

"So like last time? When did this happen?"

"He took me on a trip to a park outside of the city."

"Huh, so this is a thing that's happening. Is it just kissing?"

"Yeah, I always stop him before... you know...more happens," she said, embarrassed.

"Well hun, do you like him?" I asked. As much as I teased her about him, he seemed so not what Lia would go for. Don't get me wrong, I was happy if it meant she was moving on from Robbie; it sucks to see your best friend sad all the time. Plus, Noah was really hot and drove a motorcycle.

"He's a friend. I mean, he made it very clear that this was not romantic in any way," she said, not meeting my eyes.

"I mean do you want it to be romantic?"