Chapter 44 (Robbie)

Chapter 44 (Robbie)

The entrance to the Gala was packed. Before the event happened the school had a problem with the power, apparently some wind from the night before messed things up. Above everyone's head, I could see Lana and Lia working quickly to get everyone through.  Lana looked stressed. Lia looked unbothered, which was surprising. 

She wore a dark purple dress that made it hard to tear my eyes away from her. 

I saw Antoine come up and whisper something in her ear. He had volunteered to help them get everyone through quickly and was processing tickets. Lia laughed at something he said and squeezed his arm.

"What so funny?" Viviana asked, her voice brought me back to a reality that I would have rather not been in. 

"What?"

"You're smiling as if something is funny," she said looking confused.

Viviana stood next to me in a yellow dress, looking way more excited than the event warranted.

"Nothing is funny."

"Okay?" She said,  weirded out and looking at me as if she thought I was going crazy.

I pulled on my tie a bit. It was getting hot waiting outside.

"Are you hot?" I asked Chris standing next to me.

"No. It's cold," he said as if I had asked him something ridiculous like if pigs could fly, "the temperature is supposed to drop more tonight."

Chris hated these events almost as much as I did.

"If you're hot, can I have your coat?" My sister asked, leaning across Chris to look at me, "I left my thicker one in the car."

"I would have given you my coat," Chris said, the attitude he had towards me completely gone. Asshole.

"No, it's okay. Robbie isn't using his," she said, her arm outstretched expectantly.

Maria had come for the first half and then was leaving for a late lecture at her university.

I scanned the waiting area idly as Maria slipped my coat on. Towards the side, I saw Noah leaning against a pillar and looking through his phone.

I leaned down towards Viviana, "Here's my ticket. Let one of them know I stepped away for a moment. If you forget don't worry about it they'll let me in any way," I whispered.

"Where are you going?" She asked. I had noticed she often got separation anxiety. I think, back in Brazil, she was one of those people who needed to have a friend with her at all times.

"To say hi to a friend."

The line moved, and Noah pushed off the wall to move forward. I hurried my pace and reached him as everyone stopped walking. I placed my hand on his shoulder in a display of false camaraderie.

"What the fuck?" He asked.

"Look, forward. Pretend we're having a casual conversation," I said.

"What do you want, Bennett?"

I nodded and smiled at a walking professor, then in a light-hearted tone, I stooped down and whispered," If you ever talk to my girlfriend about my relationship with her ever again, I will break a lot more than your nose."

"Those are some strong words for someone who wears Brooks Brothers on a daily basis," he answered, then looked toward Viviana, "plus, I've never said a word to that girl. Seems nice, just your type."