Chapter One: Aranholm

My name is Naomi Hollands and exactly three weeks ago I died. Dramatic, I know, but I figure if I keep telling myself that truth enough eventually it's bound to feel real. It's the first thing I say to myself when I wake up and the last thing I say to myself when I fall asleep. Even now as the lulls of Jackson's truck threaten to send me into a deep sleep it's the only thing I keep telling myself. My name is Naomi Hollands and I'm dead. I shift in the back seat and rest my head on the window. I can hear everything.

The rolling of each tire on the road, the wind as it sweeps through the trees, cars that are miles away, the soft music playing from the radio. I can hear Jackson's steady breathing, Sarah's deep breathing. The way her body twitches slightly in her sleep. The wipers dragging across the windscreen. If I focus hard enough I can hear the snow landing on the ground. Raurlin tells me I should learn how to control it soon.

Control. Oh how I crave control. I squeeze my eyes shut, willing my ears to settle, to focus on one sound. It's on the brink of being overbearing. The inability to focus on just one thing is beyond frustrating. I grit down hard on my teeth and as if right on cue Raurlin settles a hand on my thigh. All at once the sounds around me calm his breathing. The controlled and steady inhales and exhales. I allow myself to pry my eyes open and glance at him. He smiles gently at me.

His brown eyes have an amber glow around them. Despite his attempt at an easy going smile I can see that he is tense. Since we left the wolf pack he has had an underlying tension. He hides it well from Jackson and Sarah but I can see it, clear as day. He's able to hide bits of himself from everyone but me. He squeezes my thigh and I take his hand into mine.

"Are you okay?" He mouths. I nod my head and force a smile.

The rolls to a stop in front of the large gates housing our new home. The gate is open and there is a moving truck on the inside. The back of the truck is open and there are men in overalls carrying in furniture and paintings. Stellan is standing at the back of the truck dressed casually in a tracksuit and coat. It always surprises me to see him dressed casually. I always imagine the king of vampires would be dressed in a suit. He's a large man, the king of vampires, burly and tall with a long mane of hair and a thick beard. At first glance he looks like the kind of man to instill fear into men and supernatural creatures alike.

His face lights up as he spots the car driving in. He waves and steps aside, allowing Jackson to come to a halt just in front of him. Raurlin squeezes my thigh again. I look up at him and force a smile. The look on his face tells me he knows I'm forcing the smile. I push open the door before he is able to say anything. It feels good to be standing, stretching. I walk around the car and into a tight hug from Stellan. He lifts me briefly off my feet and my back cracks. I can't help but laugh.

"Your majesty" I say as he lowers me "it's good to see you."

"And you Naomi, although soon I'm sure I'll have to address you as my Queen."

I roll my eyes. I step back as Stellan and Raurlin embrace, Stellan resting his forehead against Raurlin's for a moment. Raurlin told me it's a sign of respect. Stellan repeats the same greeting with Jackson then hugs Sarah lightly. The hug with Sarah is stiff and I can feel her discomfort prickling at my skin. I glance over my shoulder at the men carrying in the furniture, everything new per Raurlin and Jackson's request.

Sarah and I have opted to keep our apartment back in Cruymoor. We had just enough time to

tidy it up, pack our personal effects and prepare it for rental. Sarah and I decided it best to keep the property just as a contingency. Sarah hasn't been the same since the wolf pack. She's withdrawn, closed off, constantly on edge. I can feel it. Despite my attempts at figuring it out she won't let up.

The house itself is a grand gesture at best. There's a large front lawn and a circular driveway complete with a large black gate that is automated. There are steps leading up to the large house. It's easily ten bedrooms complete with a maid's quarters. An elaborate garden with a large rectangular swimming pool that is green and algae's from years of neglect. The grass is overgrown with weeds and bushes. For the most part the house is unkept.

It is in need of a lot of work but structurally the mansion itself is intact. There's two kitchens, a library and even a drawing room as Stellan aptly pointed out the first time we viewed the house. It was two weeks ago. After we left wolf territory. Raurlin and Jackson had begun the search for a new dwelling for the 'king of kings'. Raurlin spent a lot of time with Stellan, learning and understanding. Jackson spent a lot of time between the wolves and the vampires. Sarah spent a lot of time alone. And me, well I spent the time trying to convince myself that I was okay. That I knew I was dead it's a reality I'm okay with.

I trot up the stairs and walk in through the front door. From the main entrance there's a dual stairway leading to the bedrooms upstairs. Past the foyer is the drawing room and first lounge. The men moving in the boxes have already started laying out the furniture. Large lounge suits with matching pillows and carpets. Off the right of the first lounge is a dining room complete with chandeliers that can hold candles.

To the left there is a large kitchen with newly renovated countertops and a state of the art stove, complete with new ovens. There's two fridges and a door leading outside to an area of the garden that it closed off with a small fence. The piece closed off indicates remnants of a vegetable garden. I squat down and examine the rows that are still in the ground.

**Authors Note**

Welcome to the second book in the TCAC series! This book primarily focuses on Naomi and her lineage. There are a few surprise twists and I anticipate that this book will be longer than the first so please bear with me. I will likely be posting new chapters weekly but if this changes I will let you all know. Looking forward to hearing from you all! 

This book is a Wattpad exclusive if you're reading this anywhere else then my work was published without my authorisation.