Chapter Fifty Five: Families dynamic

The families of the young wolves arrived shortly after Mikain out of respect for their Alpha, ensuring he would arrive first. Being back with the wolves is a comfortable feeling. Familiar, like being away from home for a while then visiting again. Mikain rocks Sawyer back and forth as they watch the younger wolves run and play, as if being back at the compound.

Naomi hands a glass of whiskey to Raurlin as she settles down beside home. She sips at her champagne and Raurlin massages her bare shoulders. He rests against her slightly, nestling against her neck and beside his ear. “You okay?” Raurlin asks softly.

Naomi shrugs and fights off a shiver. “I don’t know. We are still waiting on the vampires and aside from our family I haven’t really encountered any other…I know what I’ve read and…I don’t know. I don’t know if it's for me…”

“It’s a part of you, Naomi. And besides you’re not a vampire only. You’re an incredible queen and everyone simply has to fall in line.” Raurlin nudges Naomi with a wink. Naomi rolls her eyes with a chuckle then she sips on her champagne. Stellan walks into the lounge and he sits down just in front of Raurlin and Naomi.

“We okay in here?” he asks gently.

Naomi nods. “It seems the vampires intend on making an entrance.”

Stellan rumbles a laugh. “Oh yes, fashionably late I’m sure. Listen, of those that we’ve invited there’s twins…and they are, how shall I say, different. Eccentric. Please be patient before you feel the need to correct their behaviour to…react violently.”

Raurlin erupts into laughter. He glances at Stellan with a raised eyebrow. “The twins are coming? Oh Naomi you’re in for a treat. They are…Gods give us strength.” There’s a heavy knock at the front door and Naomi stands up. Raurlin sighs heavily then forces himself to his feet. Naomi smiles as he tucks her under his arm.

The two of them walk to the foyer where Horatio is holding the door open. An older looking man with speckled grey hair is standing beside a younger looking woman. Younger than Soraya maybe. He is dressed formally in a suit and coat and the younger woman is wearing a thick winter dress and thigh high boots. They share a common resemblance. Similarities in their eyes and their noses. They both have the same rich mahogany hair and they stand with an air of grace, straight spines and appropriate smiles.

“Please, come in,” Horatio urges. The gentleman and the young woman step into the home, each examining a separate area of the home. It’s subtle and would have gone unnoticed. If not for the hybrid king and queen.

The man steps forward and lowers himself into a perfected regal bow. “My king, my queen, I am Casimir and this is my daughter Hestia. Hestia offers a curtsey, lowering her head. “It is an honour to meet you both,” Hestia adds. They speak with the faintest of accents, it lingers with each word they speak. Casimir glances at Hestia who has a look of realisation on her face. She steps back outside and returns with a bunch of flowers that she hands to Naomi and a small box that she hands to Raurlin.

“Welcome to our home, Casimir and Hestia. Do hold attachment to old customs? Do you prefer a title attachment to your names?”

Casimir shakes his head. “No Your Grace, our given names are more than sufficient. Thank you for welcoming us into your home. My Queen, if I may, you are as beautiful as the stories claim.”

Naomi cannot stop herself from frowning. “Stories? Where are you from?”

Casimir offers a dimpled smile as does Hestia. “France. We’ve always worked closely with Stellan to ensure that the vampires in France are well represented and taken care of. We seldom have issues. It’s a far reach and we are quite a large community. But well taken care of thanks to his majesty. Our driver, Manon will without doubt inform his family of us being here tonight and the reception we’ve received. The stories, Your Grace, they spread quickly in our community. I am deeply apologetic if my words offend.” 

Naomi grins as she gestures into her home. “You’ve called me beautiful, Casimir. Please come on in, let us introduce you to everyone. Needless to say there are wolves here, changes in eye colour are acceptable but violence is not.” Naomi looks to Raurlin for confirmation and he nods.

Raurlin holds a hand out and Hestia flushes then slips her arm through his. He walks her to the dining room and Casimir walks alongside Naomi to the lounge.

“If you don’t mind me saying,” Naomi presses, “your daughter looks awfully young. Will she be okay here today?”

Casimir  chuckles, it’s a soft warm sound. “With all due respect my queen, we met true death in the seventeenth century. Hessy will be more than fine. I am truly honoured to be in your presence. I have heard a great deal about you. They say you’re the strongest queen we’ve had to date. Since the Great War.”

Casimir comes to a halt at the sliding doors and eyes gleam a ruby red. He clears his throat. “Forgive me, my queen, I have never encountered a wolf, let alone an Alpha and his Omega.”

“Let me introduce you to Mikain and Sandy. They’re a lovely couple and I’m certain you will like Mikain. Come, right through here.”

Naomi guides Casimir to the cluster of wolves and he is quickly welcomed and greeted by the parents of Rhonan, Clem and Beau. Mikain introduces Casimir to Sawyer and shortly after Casimir is cradling the Alpha’s son against his chest. Hestia returns with Raurlin shortly after with a drink in hand and a plate of snacks. Jackson and Sarah quickly join into the conversation too.

Rhonan, Clem and Beau clamber inside followed shortly by Angel and Brie and the young wolves gather in the dining room, filling plates of food. The house is filled with laughter, chatter and music. Naomi takes a step back and takes in the room around her. This is home.

Underneath the bustle a single whisper seems to be growing. Naomi strains her neck to listen and it is clear that the whispering is there. Naomi walks away from the festivities and into the foyer. The door is shut. There’s a knock. A single knock that rattles the door, dust or ash, lands on the floor on the foyer.

Naomi squeezes her eyes shut then forces them open again. Another harsh knock shakes the door again. A hand comes down on Naomi’s shoulder and she jumps slightly. Naomi snaps her neck to look at Horatio. Horatio has a concerned look on his face.

“Your Grace?”

Naomi shakes her head. “Get the door, I’ll get Raurlin.”