Chapter Twenty-Seven: Full Moon

Naomi and Raurlin trot upstairs, hand in hand, with the rest of their clan behind them. The movie day was a raging success with Horatio surprising everyone with his extensive knowledge on the many genres and directors.

The clan worked their way through the classics from Pretty Woman to Gone With The Wind. The conversation surrounding Axel eased up as did tensions through-out the day. Before they knew any better it was nightfall and sleep came calling.

Naomi and Raurlin come to a halt at their door offering tired smiles and wishes of good sleep as Sarah and Jackson and Stellan and Delilah groggily walk past them. Once they have all entered their respective bedrooms, Sarah and Jackson accompany each other into Sarah's room, Naomi and Raurlin slip into their own room.

Naomi flops down onto the bed and pries her shoes off her feet. Raurlin does the same. He plucks his shirt over his head. He sits beside Naomi, rubbing circles on her back. He watches intently as she reaches upward and frees her hair from the tight bun that sat atop her head. She runs a hand through the loose hanging curls.

"You're staring," Naomi states with a sideward glance at Raurlin who chuckles.

"I apologise, My Queen. You're beautiful so I simply cannot help myself." He shifts closer to her, wrapping an arm around her waist and kissing a trail along her neck.

Naomi tries to shrug him off but her efforts dissolve into giggles. Raurlin clumsily shimmies across her torso, dropping them both to the bed. He continues his onslaught of soft, playful kisses all over Naomi's face. He plants a final kiss on her nose before lifting himself with his right hand.

"You're the greatest aeturnum I could have ever asked for. You're a revolutionary ruler. You are wise beyond your years. Intelligent and attentive to your people's needs. Thank you."

"Why are you thanking me?" Naomi asks with a confused smile.

Raurlin grins down at her and announces, "Oh it's not you I'm thanking. It's the Gods." He lowers himself and offers a deep kiss to her lips and is accepted immediately. The kiss is slow before it is urgent and demanding. Raurlin runs a hand through Naomi's hair before resting a hand on her arm.

Naomi struggles slightly against the hold before pressing a palm to his chest. Raurlin withdraws asking "have I hurt you?"

"Not yet. I think your claws are..."

Raurlin closely examines his hands. His claws are extending painfully from his fingertips and had Naomi not said so the pain may not have registered at all. They seem to be longer than before. Raurlin stumbles off the bed and walks quickly round to the windows. He pulls the curtains back revealing a bright and full moon.

"I'm sorry Naomi...it must be the full moon."

There is strain and embarrassment in the statement. Naomi does not respond. She stands up and throws the cover back. She pulls her top over her head then turns to face Raurlin.

"You haven't hurt me. Come away from there. Come back to bed."

To the room beside them Sarah is sitting cross-legged on her bed with her grimoire in her lap. Jackson is sitting on the edge of her bed watching her with a soft smile.

"You haven't let me this close to you in a while," Jackson states. "It's nice. Thank you."

"I'm trying," Sarah admits with a short smile. "I wanted to speak to you about something. I already spoke to Raurlin about this too. I'd like to have my own coven. A witch is only as strong as her coven and I think I'd like to find those who may have familiarity with my bloodline or any bloodline rooted in magick. I'd like to teach them and grow with them."

"I think that's a great idea, Sarah. I completely support this and I would love to help in any way that I can. Where would we begin looking? Perhaps a spell?"

Sarah nods. "But for now let's just get some rest. Will you stay with me tonight?"

Jackson drops his head slightly, attempting and failing to hide a sigh of relief. He looks back up at Sarah and nods gently. "I would love to. May I use your shower?"

Sarah nods as she opens her grimoire. "Feel free. I'll just be doing some reading. I'll go when you're done."

Across the hall from them Stellan is already lying in bed. Despite the cold air around him he stripped down to his boxers and slid under the covers. The hot flashes roll through him in a great wave. His hair feels damp and sticky and it is plastered to his face as he tosses and turns. His stomach clenches with such ferocity that he draws his knees to his chest, curling into a ball, forcing himself to exhale through the pain.

He can smell Delilah from her bedroom beside his own. Just a wall away. A simple plastered brickwork separating them. It would be even simpler for him to break through. Her heartbeat flutters and jumps as she tries to find sleep and he can hear every breath. Every movement her body makes from the stretching of her legs to the tremble of her fingers.

He forces himself to his back and he looks up. Behind him the moon is beaming bright and demanding in his room.