Chapter Fifty Two: An Epic Agreement

Axel sets his whiskey glass down with a heavy sigh. He dares to look up at his king and queen. He wonders if the day has been a mere exaggeration because of the Illness or if the conversation of the day is an actual conversation.

"It's not my decision to make," he insists. "I cannot give the okay. I cannot tell you that you have my blessing. It will have to come from Soraya. Perhaps I could pick her up?"

"Why don't we have Stellan and Delilah pick her up?" Naomi looks at Raurlin.

Raurlin nods. "Yes, I'll give them a call. He is with the boys picking up the prefab homes. I'll call him and tell him to drop the boys off first. They can start setting up the homes out back. Please excuse me."

Axel stands up and walks to the large windows overlooking the extensive yard. He folds his arms across his chest. "I understand that you cannot give me more information about this witch...but how doI know that she won't harm her?"

"You have my word," Sarah urges. "It's a basic binding spell. But you're right. Soraya is her own woman and we must speak to her first. But once it's agreed on there's no going back. Once it's set in motion there's nothing we can do."

Raurlin walks back into the lounge and from the front door there's a bustle of noise. The noise moves from the foyer to the lounge.

"Uncle Raur!" Rhonan shouts out in between laughter. "You will never believe what happened, Beau and Clem..."

Rhonan, Beau and Clem come to a halt at the frame of the door as Axel turns to face them with red glowing eyes.

"Whoa..." Rhonan steps in front of Beau and Clem holding his arms open.

"I won't hurt you son," Axel assures. "I just haven't been around wolves in some time. Forgive me."

"Rhonan," Raurlin cuts in, "this is my friend Axel. Now we can catch up later but I think you and the boys have some setting up to do out back. Go now."

Rhonan mutters just under his breath "real scary dude" as he backs out the room keeping his eyes on Axel.

"We cannot go into more detail for now Axel," Raurlin continues without missing a beat. "Not with the state of the Illness. But we can guarantee that when the time comes Soraya will not be alone. She will be safe and you will be there too. His Majesty and his aeternum are picking her up now. She will be here soon and then a decision can be made. If you have hesitations now would be the time for you to say so."

Axel shakes his head and turns back to the yard. The group sits in silence as nightfall brings darkness to the room, house and town around them. Angel and Brie make their way through the rooms, closing the windows and curtains. They offer tea and coffee and bring in slices of freshly baked herbal loaf slices. The group eat and drink in silence. The front door opens and Axel tenses. He forces himself to relax as Soraya walks into the lounge, tugging her coat closed.

"Stellan, Delilah thank you for picking Soraya up. Soraya thank you for entertaining us so quickly. Come and sit, the bread is still warm."

Soraya walks into the lounge with a level of hesitation. She sits beside her uncle who hands her a plate with bread slices on it.

"Now I know you wanted to see me," Naomi says gently "and this is not what I texted you but I think I may have a proposition for you. It's intense but bare with me. I don't think you've met my best friend yet this is Sarah."

Sarah smiles brightly at Soraya. Soraya nods slowly. "The witch?" Sarah nods her head. "Yes the witch, it's lovely to meet you. Can I call you Raya?" Soraya nods her head. "So the man who picked me up is the king of the vampires and the woman is his aeternum...she was very nice to me."

"Good, I'm glad Raya. She is a nice woman. Now let's talk about an epic death shall we..."

*

Soraya holds her wrist out as Sarah ties a green coloured string around it. "This will function as a protective band. It's to keep you safe. It won't affect you physically at all okay? Now, how are you feeling?"

Soraya examines the string closely. "Overwhelmed. Slightly excited. Terrified."

"We're going to be here the entire time okay? You won't be alone for a second." Naomi wraps an arm around Soraya's shoulders. Soraya rests against Naomi.

Axel clears his throat. "Your Grace, I do not understand why you would want to...you're close with Soraya. There could be any vampire. Any single one would be honoured. Why my Soraya?"

Naomi chuckles as she faces Axel. "See there's something you don't know, Axel. There's something you both don't know. My father was named Ywain. I never met him. He and my mother were killed when I was a baby. A home invasion. A robbery."

"Gone wrong," Axel concludes, wide eyed.

To Claim A Crown Book Two: The Winter Harbinger (Complete)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara