Chapter Forty: A Way

Raurlin settles down at the head of the table and he looks out before him. Briefly he is transported back to the wolf territory. Around the table, the warmth, the atmosphere.

Naomi reaches across the table in a purely instinctive movement and takes a hold of his hand. She squeezes it slightly but her eyes remain on Stellan, who is regaling the room with a story of his youth.

"My brother decided there and then that he would not meet true death and become one of us." Stellan beams proudly at his story.

The room around him erupts into laughter. Horatio covers a hand over his mouth and he chuckles softly. Delilah beams at Stellan. Sarah tucks her chair closer to Jackson. Jackson wraps an arm across the top line of her chair. He turns to face Raurlin.

"You okay Raur?"

Raurlin nods once. A small smile tugging at his lips. "I'm good Jax. You know when I thought about being the hybrid king this is what I imagined. A family at a large table, having meals together. A beautiful woman at my side." Raurlin winks at Naomi who rolls her eyes playfully.

There's a timer ding in the kitchen and Horatio stands up with a slight bow. He walks briskly out of the dining room. He returns shortly later with a tray. He sets the tray down on the table.

"So," Sarah prompts with a look at Delilah, "you're basically a queen too now. What do we address you?"

Delilah blushes a deep pink and her eyes fall on the table. She looks up at Stellan. Stellan only smiles.

"Well nothing is formal yet," Delish admits. "Traditionally there are ceremonies..."

"We'd be happy to host," Naomi urges to everyone's surprise including her own. "We could all do with something to celebrate."

Delilah smiles at her warmly. "Perhaps a ceremony of your own?"

Raurlin can't help but chuckle. He adjusts slightly in his seat, sitting more upright. Jackson narrows his eyes at him.

"Why are you laughing?" Sarah demands she shifts in her seat to face Raurlin. "You don't want to have a ceremony with my best friend?"

"Perhaps you know of a ceremony for a hybrid couple," Raurlin counters. He lifts an eyebrow amused.

Sarah's slumps back into her chair. She exhales a breath of defeat. Horatio motions for the plates and each person sends their plate to the end of the table. Horatio begins dishing plates for everyone.

"Uh if I may..." Delilah mutters, "Your Grace you mentioned a hybrid couple?"

Raurlin nods confidently with a glance at Naomi. Naomi nods too and Raurlin looks back at Delilah.

"Yes. Naomi is a hybrid too. An unawakened wolf side lurks within this beautiful creature. If I may, I'd like to speak very plainly."

There's a general consensus around the table and Raurlin sucks in a breath.

"Yes Naomi is a hybrid. And today's attack was likely directed at her and not you Jax. What this tells us is that whoever orchestrated this attack does not know that Naomi is a hybrid because they used wolf resin as a choice of poison."

An eerie silence fills the room. Raurlin persists.

"Now for those who are not aware, when an aeturnum bond is found and fostered, death of one may very likely cause death to another. So this attack is treason, of the highest order. But it was planned and thought through. The same way that you Delilah came to be here is further testament to that planning. This is an overshadowing of something greater to come. Sarah, I will need your help with this."

Sarah nods, an intense frown pulling at her eyebrows.

"It's obviously Sigrid. She wants to uproot the hybrid throne because her vampires were not created for this purpose. Where might she be? What might she be planning?"

"Allow me time Your Grace. I explained earlier today that every spell that a witch casts leaves behind energy. A mark...a supernatural fingerprint if you will. It will take some time but I will set to work with Jax, if it pleases, going through our home and this town to see what is still lingering and perhaps we may be able to dissect our way through it all. But we will find a way to get answers to this I'm certain."

Raurlin motions to the plates as he lifts his fork. Naomi digs into her new and everyone else follows suit. After a moment of silence Horatio clears his throat. All eyes fall on him.

"Your Grace, both of you, there is an unavoidable truth here. We know who attacked Jax. I know too. Of course I would know...how could I not. I just simply had not expected it, nor could I ever. I cannot fathom the thought that the witch would stoop so low. Of course I understand why. The shock element. So that we could never have anticipated it or reacted fairly. I have taken some time today. I have fully processed what has happened. And from this point please understand I will do whatever it takes to protect this throne and this home."

Raurlin lowers his fork gently. His eyes pulsate slightly with a golden glow before the colour disappears completely.

"Thank you for your words Horatio. Stellan I trust you will fill Delilah in with the details. For tomorrow Sarah and Jax snoop sleuth and spell. Your majesty, your ladyship, the hospital. Everyone will move in pairs of two no one is to be alone at any point, of course except for you Horatio."

There are nods and muffled agreements in between mouthfuls of food.

"What will you and Naomi do?" Sarah asks in between mouthfuls.

Naomi glances at Raurlin too with a look of question. Raurlin leans back in his chair.

"Naomi, you and I have a feast to plan and wolves to receive. We will see to the installation of the security measures here at home. And we will follow up with the sheriff. Axel has been rather quiet. Questions?"

"No," is echoed as the meal is finished.

Naomi turns to face Horatio. "Horatio, perhaps an after dinner drink? For Sarah a glass of wine and Delilah can use one of my cups. Maybe the pink one?"