Chapter Seventeen: Delilah

Naomi trots down the stairs hand in hand with Raurlin. She is wearing his traditional coat again and Raurlin has on a simple cotton shirt. The lower half of the house is already buzzing with sound and movement. Naomi and Raurlin walk into the kitchen where Sarah is sitting cross-legged on a countertop. Jackson is scrambling eggs on the stove and Stellan is standing beside Sarah.

Horatio is frowning deeply at something that Sarah has said and Stellan is laughing loudly.

"I mean no offence, Horatio" Sarah insists "I just think that you'd make a great actor. I mean you quite literally never age you can be the grandfather in every movie and when everyone is starting to get suspicious you could fake a really cool death and -"

"Miss Sarah please. I am unable to tell if you're joking or not but I simply could not. I have already explained the nature of my existence and the need for my existence to be hidden."

Naomi places a hand on Horatio's shoulder and he looks up at her with a confused frown.

"She's joking, Horatio, please don't take this seriously."

"Thank you, Your Grace," Horatio exhales in relief. He gives Sarah a withering glance then walks promptly out the kitchen.

"I told you to stop," Jackson tells Sarah as he moves the pan off the heat of the stove plate. "Good morning Your Graces." Jackson offers a small bow and there is no hint of sarcasm in his voice.

Naomi glances at Raurlin who smiles at her reassuringly. "Morning Jax. Stellan, Sarah. I hope everyone had a good sleep."

"Well rested thank you, Naomi" Stellan responds. Sarah nods her agreement.

Jackson sets to work frying strips of bacon. Naomi clears her throat and Jackson turns to face her.

"Just so we're all on the same page when we were in wolf territory Raurlin accidentally scratched me. We've deduced that because of my supernatural lineage this scratch has potentially passed on some wolf mojo into me. Hence the eyes. I am a dormant hybrid. Jackson and Stellan you already knew this. Sarah I'm sure you had your suspicions. Now everything is out in the open. I just want to make myself perfectly clear. If there is a single suspicion related to me and my supernatural nature that suspicion will be brought to my attention immediately. And lastly this information does not leave this house nor does it leave this group. Am I understood?"

There's a general consensus around the room.

"I mean you too, Horatio."

Horatio walks into the kitchen with a tray tucked under his arm. "Understood Your Grace. The table is set, may I take over the cooking Sir Jackson?"

Jackson nods his head and he helps Sarah off the countertop. Raurlin wraps an arm around Naomi and they walk from the kitchen to the table and they settle around it just as they had done previously.

"Naomi," Jackson states as he settles into his seat, "I would like to apologise. I should have-"

"- apology accepted Jax. And you too Stellan. I just want to be in the loop. If you keep things from me because you're worried I'm going to withdraw, that just makes me want to withdraw."

"I understand that now," Jackson says with a nod.

There is a heavy knocking on the door and Naomi can feel herself frown. Horatio appears from the kitchen with a look at Raurlin and Naomi.

"Are you receiving?"

Raurlin nods his head just as Naomi stands up. She inhales deeply, a distant memory prickling her brain. She shuts her eyes as her entire body tenses. Raurlin reaches for her hand and then stands himself. Naomi's anger seems to fill the room to the point that even Sarah can feel it. Jackson and Stellan's fangs elongate and the candles in the room flare up.

"You have got to be kidding me," Naomi snaps as a woman steps into the room. "Delilah."

The woman is dressed casually in jeans and boots. She has on a thin shawl covering her bare shoulders. She is caked in snow and her teeth are rattling with the cold. She has faded eyeliner and her light brown hair is frizzy.

"Forgive me, I didn't mean to interrupt your breakfast. Naomi..." The woman's eyes fill with tears and she takes a step forward but her advance is stopped by Horatio with a firm hand on her arm. "It's amazing to see you again."

Raurlin steps out from the table and walks around to where Naomi is glaring at the woman. Her hands are gripping onto the table causing her knuckles to turn white. Raurlin pulls Naomi against him and she eases slightly. The atmosphere is completely tense and despite his calm demure Raurlin is completely tense.

"This is my aunt, Delilah," Naomi bites out. She glances up at Raurlin not having realised that he is standing against her. She slowly drops back into her body, slipping beneath her anger. Naomi settles into her seat and Raurlin remains standing behind her chair, his hands on her shoulders, firmly.

Sarah leans forward, levelling an intense glare at Delilah. Jackson relaxes into his seat at a glance from Raurlin and Stellan follows suit. Raurlin taps his thumbs on Naomi's shoulders and it sends vibrations through her body.

"Horatio, thank you. I think we've got it from here." Naomi does not take her eyes off her aunt. Horatio bows and walks out the room. "Why are you here?" Naomi directs at her.

Her aunt steps forward reaching for a chair that Sarah sends sliding across the floor with the flick of a wrist. Delilah steps back and drops her head, sobbing into her chest. Stellan glances at Naomi who has her legs tucked up onto the chair. Her face is completely blank as if void of all emotion. Stellan leans towards Naomi.

"Your Grace, I do not know the circumstance surrounding you and your aunt but there must be a better way this can be dealt with."

Stellan looks up at Raurlin with a pleading look. Raurlin merely shrugs and he looks back to Delilah. Stellan reaches for Naomi, dropping a hand onto her wrist. Naomi snaps her eyes from her aunt to Stellan and they are fierce and intense. Stellan has a soft look on his face and Naomi frowns. It's a different look for him. Not at all what she's used to. She nods once.

"Sarah, a chair for Delilah please."

Sarah extends her arm, open palmed and the furthest chair at the table slides back. Delilah drops into the seat, wiping at her eyes and make-up stained cheeks. She looks up at Naomi with a few inhales.

"News spreads in our community, Mimi. I heard about the hybrid king and his queen. I could hardly believe it was you. I've been trying to find you for months now. And now you're here. You're so grown up now! I can't believe-"

"Why are you here, woman?" Sarah snaps causing her a cautionary look from Jackson that she ignores. Delilah inhales again. There's a slight tremble in her hands and she rubs them together.

"I just needed to see you again, Mimi. I should have been there for you. I know that now but I'm here and I want to help."

"What makes you think I need your help, Delilah?"

Delilah chuckles, it's hoarse and throaty. "You're right. You probably don't." Her eyes drop to her lap just as Horatio begins carrying dishes with breakfast.

"Horatio," Naomi calls out "perhap you could bring Delilah something to drink. Maybe we should open up some wine to welcome her."

Delilah perks up in her chair and she turns to Horatio wide eyed and nodding her head.

"That will be all, Horatio, thank you. Enjoy your breakfast."

"Thank you, Your Grace."

Delilah squeezes her eyes shut and then slowly faces Naomi.

"You're still drinking. And this is why you're here. Raur, please sit. Let's have breakfast while it's still hot."