Chapter Thirteen: Student

Naomi follows Stellan into a room just off the lounge to the left. A makeshift gym is set up complete with floor padding, weights, several punching bags and a large water fountain. Along the walls on either side are stacks of boxes. The room carries a musty lingering smell. Naomi steps on to the padded floor and walks around the room. Stellan walks in after her.

"Naomi these boxes are filled with as much written documentation as I could find about our history. I believe Jax has the intention to run through some exercise drills with you when we're done. I can have Horatio bring these up to your room?"

Naomi shakes her head, "no thank you Stellan. These are fine down here. Let me change first and then we can begin."

Stellan lowers his head in agreement and Naomi makes for her and Raurlin's bedroom upstairs. The bedroom door to Sarah's door is shut and there is soft talking coming from the inside. Naomi walks quickly to her bedroom and she slips inside. She changes quickly into comfortable leggings and a baggy jersey. Naomi makes her way back downstairs and she settles down on the padded floor alongside Stellan. Stellan is ruffling through a stack of papers. He hands the papers to Naomi.

"These are writings that explain our history and our beliefs. Our mythology so to speak but it's more like our religion. After the great war many people lost faith in our ancient teachings. Our race began dwindling. These you can read through at your leisure to start having an understanding. What you need clarity on I will provide."

Naomi flicks through the pages. They are yellow and stained. They are hand written, some in an impressive cursive and others in untidy scribbles. Underneath the stack of papers there's a book. A leatherbound book entitled "The Anthropology Of The Fjordvailan Civilisation." Naomi smoothes a hand over the book cover with a smile, the author's name pulling at her heart strings.

Stellan pushes himself to his feet. "Your grace if it pleases I will leave you to it."

Naomi nods her head but does not look up from the papers in her lap. Stellan walks out the room, shutting the door gently behind him. He, in a few short strides, walks back to Raurlin's office. Raurlin is perched on the ledge in front of the window. He is deep in thought and he is tapping his foot on the floor.

"Raur?"

Raurlin glances at Stellan.

"This guy, Axel...He must have followed them. He's been keeping tabs on all of us. We need information and we need it fast. I don't like feeling like we're on the back foot here. We need to..."

"Breathe Raurlin. You need to breathe. I am going to run some recon. What's the word from the alpha?"

"He's open to a feast. He's reaching out to a couple of the families within his pack. Some that we've met. Dezra and her husband. I've tasked Horatio with finding more staff for us.I understand that you won't be here indefinitely. Soon you'll be back home and it will be business as usual. I just can't shake the feeling that we're on the back foot. Something is going to-"

"Raurlin." Stellan gives Raurlin a warning look. "You're our king now, all of us. If we're on the back foot then what are we missing? What ground needs to be covered? Take time. Think. Think it all over."

Raurlin stands up with a stretch. "I want to set up a meeting with you, Jax and Mikain. Can you see to it?"

"And what about Naomi? If you isolate her she will push back."

Raurlin nods once. "Where is my aeturnum?"

"In the gym your grace."

"Thank you, your majesty, that will be all for now."