Chapter Fifty Seven: Hideaway

Naomi slips out of the back door leaving it slightly ajar. The air around her is crisp and cold. She slurps a mouthful of blood then swallows it down with a deep exhale. The door creaks open and Soraya scurries into the evening air. She shuts the door and her eyes, resting against it. Naomi watches her intently with a soft smile. Soraya chuckles, then opens her eyes and jumps.

“Oh your grace! I’m sorry-”

“-Naomi. And it’s okay I also needed a moment away. I never grew up like this. It’s different for me and I’m sure it is for you too.”

Soraya eyes her cup. “You’re drinking blood?”

Naomi nods. “Yeah it’ll help settle me. Or at least I’m hoping so. How are you holding up?”

Soraya shrugs. “Uncle Axe is so good at this. I almost feel like if I didn’t…he could have still been a part of all of this. It’s a whole new world. There’s unspoken rules. I don’t know the rules. Hessy is nice but Etta looks at me like she wants to actually eat me. Steak dinner style.”

Naomi sips at her drink again and laughs. “You’re going to fit in here just fine. It’s going to be a long night. If you need a getaway feel free to sneak into my bed. The wolves will shift, I’m certain of it. Just that you’re aware. It really is quite something. And the dress looks incredible on you by the way.”

Soraya grins down at her dress. “Thank you. It’s beautiful. I thought I would be cold but I’m sort of just…here but not here.”

Naomi holds a hand out to Soraya. “It will settle. I feel a little out of my element too. Everyone is much older. Not as strong as me but they know more and sometimes knowledge is the greater strength.”

Soraya rolls her eyes. “There have never been hybrids. Make new rules. Make this new world whatever you want it to be.”

“No,” Naomi disagrees, “whatever is best for our people and for tonight that’s the feast. Come on, let’s get back inside.” Naomi drains the rest of her cup and pulls the door open. She and Soraya walk back into the kitchen with a shiver at the sudden warmth.

Sarah walks into the kitchen just as they do. She falls still and silent. Naomi frowns and ushers Sarah closer. Sarah folds her arms and she huddles in between Naomi and Soraya. She eyes Soraya dubiously. Naomi takes hold of Sarah’s hand.

“Sarah, it’s okay. What’s going on?”

“Horatio checked.” Sarah nods quickly then walks of the kitchen.