Chapter Fifty Eight: Shift

Naomi steps into the garden and walks to where Raurlin is standing. She settles down onto a chair beside him, holding her hands out to the fire. Around the fire everyone is gathered and chatting casually. Drinks are flowing and food is being eaten eagerly. Ian and Etta are entertaining the wolves with tales of all their travels.

Raurlin takes hold of Naomi’s hand while speaking to Casimir. Hestia is sitting closely beside her father, watching everything intently. The young wolves are sprawled out on the lawn pointing up at the sky and giggling boyishly about the secret whispers they share. Soraya settles across the fire beside Axel who seems particularly intrigued by Caro.

Delilah drops into a seat beside Naomi and she offers a soft smile. “This is quite something,” Delilah says softly. “It was a good idea to have this feast. Do you know why it’s a feast of the fruits of the new moon?” Naomi shakes her head. “It’s said that you leave a plate of fresh fruits overnight and if they are gone by the morning the feast was pleasing to the Gods and that they will carry favours for you to the Father and Mother directly. That’s why we create the fire. We’ll write our wishes on pieces of paper and burn them in the fire before the feast is over.”

Naomi smiles. “Thank you for sharing that with me. Where’s Sandy? And Stellan?”

“Upstairs getting Sawyer settled for bed.I was never good with that. They should be down soon. Are you enjoying yourself?”

Naomi shrugs as she looks around the room. “It’s different. I never had this growing up. It’s overwhelming but that’s okay. I’m glad that I’m meeting everyone. I know Raurlin and Jackson have known the vamps for some time. I’m glad that I can meet everyone too. Let them get a feel for how we intend to do things. Even with everyone listening to me right now.”

After a brief silence Jackson erupts into laughter that is followed and conversation picks up again. Delilah leans back in her chair, watching the fire with a small smile. Soraya leans towards her slightly and says “you’re smiling because that was smart right?” Delilah nods her head.

Stellan appears, a large box in his hands and a smaller one above that. He hands the boxes to Delilah and the group falls silent.

“Evening everyone. Ian, Etta, good to see you both.” There’s laughter. “Now traditionally with a new king or queen there would be a ceremony but I understand that Raurlin and Naomi will have this ceremony at a later stage but it is also tradition for the new king and queen to be regaled with a variety of gifts. That being said, my king, my queen, a small gift from my aeturnum and myself.”

The group all rises to their feet and Raurlin and Naomi remain sitting. Delilah stands too and she hands the smaller box to Raurlin and the large box to Naomi. Naomi glances at Raurlin and he nods once then opens his box. He sucks in a breath then looks up at Stellan with a look of pure confusion. He reaches into the box and produces a silver crown. It is littered with delicately placed snowflakes.

“The only hybrid king should have a crown of his own,” Stellan explains with a hoarse voice. “I’m proud of you soon, may the Gods bless you with a long and peaceful reign.”

Raurlin nods with a tight smile. He says nothing and gently sets the crown back in the box. Naomi swallows down nervously. She looks from Delilah to Stellan then gently pries open the box. Naomi’s eyes fill with tears at the content of the box. She stands up and pulls Stellan into a hug. She leans down to where Delilah is sitting and hugs her aunt briefly.

Naomi pulls the traditional coat up and out of the box and there is a gasp. She wipes at her eyes. Stellan steps forward and wraps the coat over Naomi’s shoulders. He beams proudly at her. “There has been speculation about our new queen being too young, to freshly having met with true death. Be assured as I’m certain it will be carried to every corner of this earth, Naomi is my kin of my bloodline.” Stellan drops to a knee. Delilah rises from her chair and drops to a knee.

One by one the occupants of the home fall to their knees, Raurlin rises to his feet. He reaches for Naomi’s hand and Naomi takes it. His eyes fall on Soraya and Sarah guides her to the sliding doors of the lounge. Horatio appears a moment later with a silver tray with glasses on filled to the brim with thick red liquid. Raurlin’s eyes gleam gold and instantly Naomi’s mimic his.

“Vampires,” Naomi calls “rise. Join us in this cup. May it please the Gods.” Jackson,Stellan, Etta, Ian, Caro, Hestia, Casimir and Delilah stand up. Horatio walks through the throngs of bodies handing out glasses. Naomi opens her arms to either side of her and the vampires fall back, drinking from the cups.

“Wolves,” Raurlin calls out. “You know what comes next…” There’s cheering and banging on the ground. The vibrations rattling the beings of the vampires and anyone in their path. Raurlin lets go of Naomi’s hand and he steps forward. He peels his jacket and shirt off revealing the cauterised snowflake that is imprinted on his chest, just above his heart. His fangs fall from his gums and his claws reach out of his skin.

The vampires murmur in another set of vibrational tones behind him. He can’t help but smile. The rush of strength and power rushes through him and Raurlin’s head falls back. From his lips a terrifyingly mighty roar trembles from his throat and into the evening air. Soraya shrieks and the sound is drowned out by the roar.

Bones begin to snap as the wolves groan in a mixture of ecstatic pain and excitement. Clothes are littered on the ground as the wolves begin to shift into their predatory state. They howl and run into the darkness of the garden playing and racing. Mikain raises from his  knee to his feet with a laugh and he walks to where Raurlin is standing. Stellan steps to Raurlins free side.

“This is how it’s meant to be,” Mikain states. “How it should always be going forward.”

Behind them a glass breaks as Etta throws her glass to the ground with a shrill laugh. She rushes forward onto the lawn then throws herself to her knees, attempting to catch up and keep up with the wolves.

“Elisabetta!” Fabian calls after her, “you’re going to ruin the feathers on your coat! Idiot girl.”

Naomi stares down at her hands as nails protrude into claws. Her vision becomes spotted and blurry. Her body sways and her knees give way. An excruciating pain grips her belly. She falls into arms, Delilah’s arms.

“Get me out of here,” Naomi instructs quietly into Raurlin’s roar and Delilah lifts her and carries her briskly away from the scene and into Raurlin’s study. Delilah bangs the door shut. Naomi crumbles to the ground, clasping onto her stomach. She retches and dry heaves and after a few intense deep breaths and back rubs from her aunt Naomi settles.

She rolls onto her back with an exhale. She pries her eyes open and she glances at Delilah. “Not a word, Dee, not a word.”