Chapter Nineteen: Cosplay

Soraya squirts cleaner onto a table top and she wipes it down with the cloth that was resting on her shoulder. Axel trots downstairs and he is dressed in a navy trenchcoat and heavy black boots. Soraya looks at him with a frown on her face. Axel comes to a stop at the bottom of the stairs.

"You dress like the Undertaker."

Axel blurts out a laugh and she shakes his head. "I'll be stepping out for a little while, my little sunshine."

Soraya pulls a face. "Don't call me that, I'm not a child. And where are you going?"

"Woah young lady, who's the adult here, you or me?"

Soraya laughs loudly at her uncle's question. "Well you're the one that leaves at odd hours in cosplay."

Axel drops an arm around Soraya's shoulders, pulling her against him. He kisses the top of her head. "I happen to like my cosplay look. I won't be out long. Trust me okay? Everything I do, I do for us. I doubt we'll have much business with the rate that the snow is falling. Deliveries can be made using the van. I'll be back soon. Call me if something urgent comes up."

Soraya nods against her uncle's chest. She takes a step back with a smile. "Just don't go choke slamming people okay? We don't have money for bail."

Axel grins down at her, his dark eyes gleaming with mischief. Soraya shakes her head as he walks out the front doors of the building. She sets back to work cleaning the table counter tops. Once the tables are clean she turns the heater on and begins sweeping the floor. The bell chimes as the door opens and Dale walks into the pizzeria and slips his coat off.

"Morning Raya, miserable weather out there today. Sorry I'm a little late."

"Hey Dale. It's okay I doubt we'll have any business today. Uncle Axe says we can use the van for deliveries today."

Dale walks through the pizzeria and walks around the counter to the pizza oven. He immediately begins cleaning the counters and working on batches of dough. He has long dark hair that he swoops up into a hair net. He is tall and thin with a single piercing in his right ear from which a cross is hanging.

"Raya, can I put some music on?"

Soraya glances over her shoulder at him and nods. Dale lifts an Ipad up from the counter and he unlocks it. Soraya sets the broom and other cleaning utensils back behind the counter where they belong. She props herself up onto a bar stool in front of the counter where Dale is standing. She reaches into her apron and takes out a small notebook and pen. She flicks through the pages and once she lands on an empty page. Soraya begins scribbling on the page and she jots down a few thoughts around the sketch she's making of Dale. Dale glances up at her.

"What are you writing about today?"

"You."

Dale raises an eyebrow as if he doesn't believe her. "What about me?"

"That you're so tall and skinny you're like the grim reaper."

Soft music begins filling the air around them. Dale grins at her response then begins measuring out cups of flour.

"Seriously though, you don't strike me as the type of person to have a secret diary."

Soraya rolls her eyes. "It's not a diary. It's a journal. I'm documenting my life. Every day. Important thoughts. Things that stick out."

"You're having important thoughts about me?" Dale raises an amused eyebrow with a glance at Soraya. Soraya rolls her eyes again.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Shoot."

Soraya inhales and she sets her book down on the countertop. "How come you never tried to pursue me?"

Dale falls still and he looks up at Soraya as if struggling to find the right words. "I...your uncle is very scary."

Soraya nods her agreement. "So it's not because you're not into me or whatever?"

Dale grins at her and he leans forward slightly. "I'm very into you or whatever. But we've become such good friends and your uncle trusts me and I don't want to ruin that. Maybe one day when we're older."

Soraya laughs and she picks her book back up.

"Hey...you're crazy beautiful. You're down to earth and really funny. But you're mysterious. It's like you know something I don't. And I don't always like that feeling."

"I always know something you don't. We don't need to prep too much for today. When we're out we'll close."

"Oh I'm still claiming a full day though."

Soraya laughs again.