Chapter Six: Girl Talk

Naomi pulls her blanket up to her chin and she rests her chin on the pillow. After lunch she had cleaned up with Jackson. They worked in a comfortable silence around each other and shortly after the moving company had finished offloading as far as possible. Naomi and Jackson saw them off while Raurlin spoke with Stellan in private. Sarah remained in her room and Naomi couldn't find a way to convince herself to talk to her.

Naomi eventually settled on the couch after uncovering a fluffy blanket. She sat looking out the large doors into the night as the snow falls. There are a few heavy winds that bristol through the trees. It's a magical lyrical sign as leaves tremble under the spell of the commanding wind. There's a soft knock at the door and Naom glances over her shoulder. Sarah is standing under the door frame, hesitant to step into the lounge. Naomi props herself up and she pats the seat next to her. Sarah exhales and she walks into the lounge.

Sarah settles on the couch beside her best friend. She tells her body to relax but her body does not comply. Naomi can feel her tenseness lingering across her skin. Naomi swallows down the sadness she feels.

"I'm glad we finally have a moment of peace," Naomi states with a glance at Sarah.

"Yeah...things have been really hectic since we left the wolves. How are you holding up?"

Naomi chuckles lightly. "Yes seems to be the main question. But how are you?"

Sarah is silent. She remains silent to the point that it feels uncomfortable.

"I'm okay. I just..." Sarah sighs loudly then flops into the couch. She battles back the tears that swarm in her eyes. "I'm not okay," she finally admits in a small voice. "Everything has changed so quickly all at once. I don't even feel like I belong here. A witch among the vampires. I feel out of place. Uncomfortable. And you, you're..."

"Dead." Naomi says with a small shrug.

Sarah looks at Naomi with a baffled half smile that slowly spreads into a fit of giggles. The two erupt into a flurry of laughter, collapsing against each other for the first time in what feels like forever. Once the laughter dies down Naomi looks up at Sarah with a sad smile.

"I hate what me dying has done to us. I feel like you see me as a different person. But I'm still me."

Sarah shakes her head. "Not even you believe that. I just think that we don't know who we're meant to be right now. I mean Raur is the king. Jax is obviously his right hand. Where does that put us?"

Naomi nods slowly "well there's still the question of where Sigrid is now. And why Armon killed me. Maybe we could work on it together I'll speak to Raur I doubt he'll mind-"

"-Naomi. I need to be frank. I can't work with you until you tell me what's going on with you. And I need you to be honest."

Naomi stiffens. "I think you mean what's going on with you, Sarah. You've been cold and distant."

Sarah rolls her eyes "oh it's not me it's you. You think I don't see it. Maybe you don't see it but you look at me like I'm a juicy steak or something. I'm just food to you. Why is that? You've been jumpy. You're hiding something."

"I can't," Naomi inhales and lowers her voice to a whisper "I can't feed. I can't bring myself to...I just...it's scary. I feel like it's just so unnatural. It's..." Naomi drops her back against the couch and she squeezes her eyes shut as her stomach churns. Sarah gently takes hold of Naomi's hand.

"I know what you mean. But if you don't speak up I don't know how to help you. No one does. And if you can't feed or you won't let yourself rather, then your hunger will only grow until it eventually grows out of control."

"I need to find a way to make it work. I need to find a way to work around it. I can't take from people. Living breathing people. I can't take that..."

Sarah nods her head slowly. Okay well then I know what we need to do. I have an idea. We're going into town tomorrow okay?"

Naomi nods her head with a confused frown. Then she nudges Sarah with a raised eyebrow. "Okay spill. You know my deep dark dirty secret. Your turn."

Sarah's cheeks flush almost the same red as her hair and she sinks into the couch beside her best friend. "Okay fine. When everything went down Idonea said that Raurlin killed her. From what I gather he killed Sigrid too."

"He's not a killer."

"Of course he is, Naomi. You're predators."

Naomi frowns deeply at her best friend. "Just because we're predators doesn't mean we're killers."

Sarah rolls her eyes as she props herself up with a look at Naomi. "It may make you uncomfortable, Naomi but the bottom line is I'm living with witch killers. Hunters. I think I'm in love with one. Does that make me a sell out? What about my people. Where do the witches fit in in all this? It's driving me crazy."

Naomi can feel her eyes begin to pulsate and her gums begin to throb. She stands up and begins pacing in front of the doors as Sarah sits stiffly on the couch. Sarah's hands clench into fists and she forces a few breaths in and out.

"Naomi...I'm sorry...I didn't mean..."

Naomi turns to face Sarah.

"Naomi, your eyes are glowing."

Naomi squeezes her eyes shut and she rubs at her temples. "I'm sorry," she bites out "I struggle to control it."

"And I was saying unkind things. I don't mean to be provoking. You asked and I answered. All I know is you're my best friend and I want to be honest with you because I feel very much in the deep end here. I need to rationalise this and I don't want to have to do it alone."

Naomi nods her head slowly as she sits back down beside Sarah.

"Okay. Alright. I hear you. I think let us try and refrain from being judgemental until we know the full story. I'll speak to Raur about it. You speak to Jax and see what he says. He will be honest with you but you need to level with him. You know how it feels to have everything about you change in an instant. Be patient. For now I just want us to get settled in. Start unpacking so this place can feel at home. You belong here with me, okay? You're my best friend. The strongest witch should be with the hybrid. And you with me. I love you, I want us to make this work."

Sarah drapes her arms across Naomi's shoulders, pressing her face to her best friends. "I love you too, Mimi. We're going to make this work. I promise. I always got your back."

"And I have yours." 

Authors Note:
This book is a Wattpad exclusive if you're reading this anywhere else then my work was published without my authorisation.