Chapter Forty-Six: Death

Naomi guides Soraya into the gym. She follows closely behind her. She has thick blonde hair and curious green eyes. From pictures she knows her father had the same blonde hair and curious green eyes. A Hollands. A cousin. Right under her nose. How long had she been here? How long did she know? How different would Naomi's life have been if she had an uncle like Axel.

"This is the gym, we do workouts together every morning. Do you work out?"

Soraya chuckles, running a hand over the equipment. "Oh I knead a mean dough."

Naomi smiles. "How long have you been in the pizzeria?"

"All my life really. As far back as I remember. Uncle Axel took me in when I was a baby. We travelled quite a bit, all over europe. Lived in London until I was about twelve then we moved here and we've been here since. He's a great guy. I don't know what he did but he's a good person."

Soraya's tone is slightly pleading and Naomi can clearly smell the slightest linger of fear radiating off her skin.

"You don't have to be afraid Soraya. I'm just giving you a tour of the house. Your uncle will be safe and in one piece when we return to him. You remind me of someone I knew once. I want to get to know you a little better. Come let's go to the lounge and Horatio can bring your tea."

Soraya nods with an exhale, her shoulders falling. Naomi walks out the gym and into the lounge. She settles down on the couch in front of the fire. Soraya sits down hesitantly beside her. She holds her hands out to the fire. Horatio walks into the room shortly after. He sets down a tray of tea on a small table just in front of Soraya. Soraya smiles at him. His eyes gleam slightly but he remains expressionless.

"How much do you know about our kind?" Naomi asks as Soraya pours a cup of tea. She drops into the cup a single sugar cube and hands the tea to Naomi. Naomi battles back a smile. She accepts the cup and stirs it then sets the spoon down on the tray. Soraya settles back into the couch, visibly more relaxed with the tea in her hands.

"I know the basics. The Gods and the after life. I know about how a human with a vampire gene becomes a vampire...Is that how you became a vampire?"

Naomi nods as she sips her tea. "Yes, recently too."

"Damn that's crazy. What happened? How did you die?"

Naomi allows a laugh to escape her lips. She glances at Soraya.

"Easy. You're still talking to your queen."

Soraya flushes slightly. She laughs uncomfortably. "Forgive me, Your Grace."

"I do. Now tell me, why are you still human?"

Soraya sits at her tea. "I don't know...it's a little scary isn't it? Not knowing really what's on the other side. Maybe I'm a coward."

Naomi shakes her head. "No you're not a coward. I'm sure you're familiar with The Great War. Then it was necessary to die, now it's not. Now you have the freedom to choose. What would sway your decision?"

Soraya muses over the question. "I would love to meet my aeturnum one day. And of course the immortality and not ageing is an added plus. I just want to get there when I am ready."

"I respect that but I want you to be aware of the downside to that decision too."

Soraya nods and Naomi continues speaking.

"The hunger is constant, persistent. Over time you learn to control it. But in the beginning it's brutal. It's all you think about, constantly. There's no guarantee of meeting an aeturnum. Immortality can be very lonely. And of course the Illness..."

Soraya frowns, setting her cup down on the tray. "Illness?"

"A conversation for another day. Nothing you need to be concerned about for now. Now listen Raurlin and I will be hosting a feast for the next new moon and I would love for you to attend. Are you keen?"

"Oh yes, absolutely! Will it be here?"

"Yes it will. We will get the information to your uncle."

"Thank you, I'm looking forward to that."

Naomi sets her cup down on the tray. "Have you ever met a witch?"

Soraya shakes her head with wide eyes.

"My best friend is a witch. The strongest witch. I'd love for you to meet her, would you be open to that?"

"Oh yes! Definitely! I can't decide which is more interesting, being a vampire or a witch."

Naomi laughs again. "Do you have questions for me? I'm sure you do."

Soraya nods slowly. "Yes. If it's okay...what is death like?"

"It's cold and dark and immediate. It's like falling asleep but it's falling and falling. Then it feels like something snaps into place within you. It's this breaking but it's not painful. Like a puzzle piece being put into place. For me it was immediate. One moment I wasn't there and another I was back. When you come to and you inhale it feels like you're inhaling for the first time. Everything seems fuller, brighter. It's like you're living for the first time. Fully being awake. It can be beautiful."

Soraya whispers a soft "wow..." she falls back onto the couch, seemingly mesmerised by Naomi' words.

Naomi turns her head to the door. She stands up. "Come now, they're ready for us."

Soraya springs up. She glances over the room and then walks out the lounge, past the foyer and back into the dining room. The atmosphere seems to have eased up drastically. Her uncle is laughing at something Raurlin has said and Raurlin is smiling warmly.

"Ah Soraya, you're back. I trust you're well?"

Naomi settles down at the table beside Raurlin.

"Yes, fine. Her Grace was giving me a tour of your home. It's lovely, Your Grace. Bigger than anything I've seen."

Axel stands up, finishing the remnants of his coffee. "Thank you for having us," he states with a look between Naomi and Raurlin. "It has been both an honour and a pleasure. Your Grace, I look forward to hearing back from you."

Horatio appears at the door. "Sir Axel, Miss Soraya this way please."

In silence the three of them walk to the front door. Horatio pulls the door open and steps aside. Axel steps into the winter cold and Soraya follows closely behind him. He pulls the keys to the van out from his pocket and unlocks it. Soraya pulls the passenger door open and she hops inside the car. Axel settles in the driver's seat and offers a short wave at Horatio. Horatio nods then shuts the door.