Chapter Eight: First Night

Naomi slips under the thick blankets of her and Raurlin's shared bed. Raurlin pulls her onto his bare torso. His body is radiating warmth that Naomi finds she desperately needs. Since her death the cold seems to seem it's way into her bones threatening to cramp her muscles to a standstill. Raurlin gently strokes Naomi's hair with a few kisses on her head.

"Hey Raur?"

"Yes beautiful."

"Will I always feel this cold?"

Raurlin presses a kiss against Naomi's forehead. "I should have warned you about it," Raurlin admits. "Winter months are harsh for us. I've heard of vampires who freeze solid in the winter and quite literally defrost in the summer. It's important to stay as warm as possible. As soon as we have some staff in here we'll likely have fires going in every fireplace until the weather warms up. Summer is now your best friend."

"I always did prefer summer," Naomi mutters. She falls silent a moment then probes again "Raurlin?"

"Yes beautiful."

"I don't think we should have the balcony room, Raur. I think we should give it to Sarah."

Raurlin peers down at Naomi with a confused frown. "Sarah? My sweet Naomi, I don't know about that..."

"It makes more sense for her, Raur. She can have some herbs growing on the balcony. Get some fresh air if she needs it."

"And what will that say about us? The king and queen giving up their living quarters?"

"That we know how to take care of our people, Raurlin."

Raurlin can't help but smile. "Our people."

Naomi huffs with an eye roll. "I'll be going into town with Sarah tomorrow. Soon she's going to start asking questions about Idonea and Sigrid. Please be honest with her. And with me Raur. There's so much I don't know about how these systems work. I have so much catching up to do."

"You're going to be okay. I'm going to help you anyway I can. Tomorrow Jackson and I will move the rooms. Sarah will have this room. I would like to ask her to spell the rooms for some level of privacy. Tomorrow you and Sarah do what you need to do. I don't like the idea of you two being out there alone. Please consider allowing Stellan to accompany you. For now get some rest, Naomi."

Naomi settles against Raurlin and Raurlin pulls the heavy blanket up to her shoulders. He runs his hand up and down her arm gently as goosebumps prickle across her skin. Raurlin knows it's a mixture of the cold and her new-found hypersensitivity.

"Raur?" Naomi asks in a sleepy hushed voice.

"Yes my sweet Naomi."

"Why aren't you cold?"

"I'm the hybrid."

Naomi stirs in her bed, twisting and stretching with a groan. She drags her eyes open. The curtains are open and there is light streaming into the bedroom. The ensuite bathroom door is closed and the shower water is pounding loudly, ricocheting off Raurlin's body and landing heavily on the shower floor. Naomi shuts her eyes. She can hear Raurlin humming, she can smell this minty body wash. She can hear Sarah rummaging through her suitcase with music playing from her phone. Downstairs Jackson and Stellan are moving things around in a room Naomi can't place.

The bathroom door opens and a gust of steam pools into the bedroom. Raurlin walks into the room with a towel tight securely around his waist. His hair is dripping and steam is rising off his torso and arms. Naomi props herself up with a familiar smile. Raurlin winks at her as he walks to his wardrobe.