Chapter Twenty: Which Witch

Raurlin looks up from the papers on his desk as there's a knock at the door.

"Come in, Sarah."

Sarah walks into the office and settles down in front of him. He has a glass of brown liquor in his left hand and a pen in his right. He sips the drink then sets the pen down. He leans back into his chair.

"We find ourselves in an interesting situation, you and I."

Sarah nods her agreement but remains silent.

"The hybrid king and the balancing witch. How are you and Jax?"

Sarah shrugs as she chews on her bottom lip. "We're okay. He's trying but I'm not really receptive right now. I never got to thank you for switching rooms. I really appreciate it. I'm keen to get some plants going on the balcony but the weather is harsh right now."

"You're welcome, Sarah. I do not think it is appropriate for me to ask you to accept me as your king. You're a witch and that's a completely different field to what I am constructed of."

"Magick made you, Raurlin. But you're right. You only exist the way you do right now because of me. But you're still the hybrid king. I don't know where that puts us both in terms of leadership."

Raurlin sips his drink again. He watches Sarah intently. "What are your goals for the future? If I may ask."

Sarah straightens in the chair with a frown. "I don't like that question. But I need you to understand that I will never abandon Naomi. I feel restless and uncomfortable. I haven't fully practised in a while and I'm scared too. I feel that I shouldn't be here. Like my place is not here."

"I'm sorry you feel that way Sarah. If there is anything I can do to help you transition-"

"-you could start by not treating me like a child."

Raurlin frowns, "then don't behave like one."

Sarah tilts her head one side, biting down hard on her teeth. "Do you even know what Delilah did to Naomi? I have been fully aware of everything long before you have. When you learn the truth you will understand my anger."

Raurlin stands up sighing and he walks around the table. He perches by the window, cracking it open slightly and a great push of wind shoves icy air into the toasty room.

"Do you understand the nature of the aeturnum? I may not know her truth but I can feel her anger. Even right now. She is with Stellan right now, in the lounge. She feels safe but just below that she has all this anger. And I am afraid that she is going to explode. Coupled with that is how I feel about her. I had to excuse myself from the breakfast table because of how angry I am right now. But I cannot have you undermining my authority when it comes to the vampires or wolves."

"I hear you, Raurlin but Delilah is not a vampire."

Raurlin chuckles and swallows down his drink. "Yes she is."

Sarah can't hide her surprise. She rubs at her temples. "I want to have a family. In the future. I want to have a coven too. I want to be with Jax but I...it's not easy right now. I want to feel at home here. I want to understand my full power, full potential. Jax used to practice with me but I'm afraid that I might hurt him. Unintentionally."

"Thank you for your honesty. Perhaps I may make a suggestion? When it comes to the vampires and wolves you follow my lead but in private I am always open to your suggestion. When it comes to the witches I will take your lead but in private I will tell you if I have any opinions."

Sarah nods her head. "I'm happy with that and I'm sorry about this morning. It won't happen again."

Raurlin nods once and he visibly relaxes with a smile. "Oh and Sarah, if you want to practice then practice on me. I'm fairly certain you cannot hurt me." Raurlin winks at Sarah then stands up. He holds his arms open. Sarah stands up and sets into his hug.

"I know that you're feeling distant from Jax because of what Idonea said. If you ask him he will be honest. You know that. But you're fearful of the truth. You don't want to change the way you see him. I guarantee you that you won't see him differently. Talk to him."

Sarah nods against his chest and there's another knock at the door. Sarah takes a step back. She smiles at Raurlin and walks to the door. She opens it and Jackson is leaning against the door frame with his arms folded. He smiles warmly at Sarah then steps aside allowing her to pass. He walks into the room after her and shuts the door.

"Hey Raur. I know you've got your hands full but I want to know how I can help."

Raurlin motions for the chair and Jackson drops into it.

"Drink?"

Jackson shakes his head. "What do we do about Delilah?"

Raurlin frowns. "Nothing. It's Naomi's choice. I'm trying my best to keep it together but I know that Naomi has a rough history with this woman and it's taking everything within me to not tear her apart."

"She looks at me weird, all the time."

Raurlin bursts into laughter and he nods. "Yeah I saw that. You feel anything towards her?"

Jackson frowns with a look of almost disgust. "Absolutely not. The only person I feel anything for is Sarah. Even still."

"Good. You know...I was thinking, it was very easy for that witch to do some black magick mojo on us at the wolves place. How do we know that she isn't still doing the same thing? We don't know where she is. We don't know what she's planning or her next move. We're completely in the dark and I don't like it. I just," Raurlin sighs again clenching his hands, "I can't shake this feeling that something is coming and we're not prepared for it. Something big Jax. Something evil. Something that scares me."

"Okay well we have Horatio who appeared, that other guy Axel and now Delilah is here. Let me do what I do best, with your permission."

Raurlin turns back to the driveway. "Dig, poke, prod. I want answers and I want them soon. Send in Naomi and her right hand."

"At once Your Grace."

Jackson walks out the office, closing the door behind him.