Chapter Four: Hybrid Eyes

Naomi forces the last piece of pizza into her mouth and she chews with cheeks full. Raurlin hands Naomi an opened bottle of Coke and Naomi gulps down on it. Beside her Sarah pushes her plate forward.

There are still slices of pizza on the paper plate. Naomi looks at Sarah with a raised eyebrow. Sarah's face twists and she stands up quickly knocking her chair out from underneath her in the process.

She makes for the door and Naomi stands to follow after her but Raurlin reaches out and clasps onto Naomi's hand. Naomi tugs away from Raurlin.

"Naomi," Raurlin snaps and she turns to him with a glare. "Naomi sit, please."

Jackson nods his agreement as he wipes at his mouth with a napkin. He drops the crumpled serviette and makes after Sarah. Naomi flops down into her chair.

"It's your eyes," Raurlin explains softly.

At Raurlin's words Naomi can feel a pulsating behind her eyes. It's a soft pounding that happens suddenly too quickly for Naomi to register the change in the way she sees things. It's a primal shift allowing her to zone in on just about anything regardless of the distance. Naomi squeezes her eyes shut and then opens them slowly. Once they're open they've returned to their normal colour.

Stellan glances at Raurlin as he drops a hand over Naomi's. In the bedroom upstairs Sarah is sitting on her bed stiff as a board. Jackson crouches down in front of her and gently takes her hands into his. Sarah looks up at him with teary-eyes.

"When will she get better?" Sarah asks in a low whisper.

Jackson can't hide the truth on his face. She won't get better. She never will.

"This is who she is now, Sarah. This is who she was always meant to be."

"What's wrong with her?"

"She won't feed the way she needs to. Maybe you could speak to her about it? You're her best friend. She may listen if it comes from you."

Sarah exhales a loud breath. "I can try. I'm sorry Jax I didn't mean to make a scene like that. Especially not in front of Stellan."

"It's okay. He understands that this is very transitional for all of us. Including you. You're a part of this little family too sweetheart. Why don't you take a little down time? Start unpacking a few things, maybe make your bed and have a rest?"

Sarah wipes at her eyes with a small smile. She nods her agreement "please excuse me downstairs. I think I just need to settle in here. And rest. You're right I need to rest."

Jackson nods. He stands up and kisses Sarah lightly on the cheek. He makes for the door, closing it gently behind him. He trots downstairs and settles down at the dining room table beside Naomi. Naomi dares a glance at Jackson and Jackson nudges her playfully with a wink.

"Sarah apologies for her sudden absence. She needs to rest."

Stellan nods slowly as he takes a swig of his sparkling water. "How is she really Jax? This time can be difficult for a witch. Plants don't exactly grow in winter. When was the last time she practised?"

Naomi looks to Jackson for a response with wide eyes. Jackson shrugs as he picks up another slice of pizza. "It has been a while. I'll speak to her when she's awake."

"Or I can do it?" Naomi suggests looking to Raurlin for a response. All eyes fall on Raurlin and suddenly he feels like the king. He sees a glimpse into his future on the throne. Eyes on him, questioning eyes, eyes belonging to people, his people, needing answers to those questions. He stifles an exhale then nods his head slightly.