Chapter Thirty-Eight Answers

Raurlin swallows down the remnants of his coffee as Naomi slides her phone across the table for him to read. Raurlin lifts it and scans over the note that Naomi has typed. His lips twitch a smile as he hands Naomi her phone back.

"That is an extensive list of questions, Naomi. How long have you been accumulating these?"

Naomi blushes slightly and she admits with a sheepish smile "since we met really."

"I didn't realise you had so many questions, my sweet heart. I'm sorry I haven't been more attentive to your needs."

"It's okay, things have been really hectic." Naomi lifts her second mug of coffee and she sips at it. It is just as good as the first.

"Let's start from the top of your list, Naomi. Yes vampires can be killed, the baby vamps are susceptible to death by being stabbed through the heart but the older we get the less likely it is. Which is why Jax didn't...anyways...decapitation of the head, that's what is our true weakness. And no, we're not affected by the sun."

Naomi nods as she continues drinking her coffee. She hands her phone back to Raurlin who chuckles.

"Okay point two, yes vampires and vampires can reproduce. This is an incredibly rare phenomenon and it hardly ever happens but yes it is possible. Should I carry on?"

Naomi nods her head.

"Okay the next point. How are vampires turned. Well as a general rule those who carry the gene are able to be turned by meeting the death of their human body. It is not a constant guarantee that every person who carries the gene will be turned. Humans can be turned by a vampire bite but like I said it's extremely rare for this to happen. Incredibly rare circumstances."

Naomi sets her coffee cup down slowly and she levels a look at Raurlin. "So when you told me you didn't know how I could be turned, that was a lie?"

Raurlin licks his lower lip and he looks at Naomi with a small nod. "Yes, it was a lie. I'm sorry for lying. I just didn't want to scare you."

"I get it. Is there anything else I need to know?" Naomi chews on her inner lip. Raurlin reaches across the table and holds her hand.

"No Naomi. I'm glad that we're having some time to clear things up now and that I can answer your questions."

Naomi squeezes his hand with a smile. "Yes, me too. Now back to my questions, please."

Raurlin lifts her phone again and examines the note. "Werewolves are not immortal but they do live long. They age much slower. But vampires are immortal. Werewolves and vampires do celebrate the same Gods."

Naomi nods her head. "I think there's a lot of questions in this list that I already know the answers to. And I'm sure it's getting late. We should be heading home now. Can't leave everyone alone for too long. Just one thing before we go, are we going to tell Horatio about his brother?"

Raurlin muses over the question. "Yes we are but just not yet. First we're going to get as much information as possible so that when we speak to him we have answers and solutions. Do you want to walk or shall I ask Horatio to pick us up?"

"Horatio, please. Oh Raur? Just thought you should know I have the intention to speak to Sandy. Sort of queen to queen."

"Okay my love. Thank you for telling me. I'm going to give Horatio a call. When we get home I think we should all have dinner as a family. Strategize the way forward. But also I think that we should start including Delilah. She's Stellans aeturnum so she will be around. She needs to be aware of what we're facing."

Naomi nods her agreement, chewing on her lip still. At her silence Raurlin scrolls through her phone and dials Horatio's number. After a few rings he answers and Raurlin has a brief conversation with him. He hangs up and hands Naomi her phone back.

"He'll be here in about fifteen minutes."

"Hey Raur...there's something about today that we haven't considered."

"How incredibly well you're holding up? I have to be honest my queen after I found you in the kitchen I thought you might..."

"Spiral into a bloodlust frenzy?" Naomi chuckles as she leans back in her chair. "I don't know. It just felt like shaking. Trembling almost. Then a burst of energy then it simmered into a sort of hum, just underneath my skin." Naomi rubs her arms for emphasis. "I feel fine. Physically. Maybe that's what I needed to get control. To stop fighting it so much."

Raurlin nods slowly and a smile flashes across his face. "You're incredible you know that? Now what is it that we haven't considered?"

Naomi swallows down hard. "Jackson was sitting in my seat at the table. I don't think that attack was meant for him. Tell me, if a vampires aeturnum dies...what happens to that vampire?"

Raurlin's eyes gleam gold and he clenches his teeth. "That vampire is likely to die too."

"Then how do we know that Sigrid still isn't trying to uproot your claim as king?"