Chapter Thirty-Seven: Desired Effect

Jackson guides Sarah into his room as she presses an array of kisses along his cheek and neck. He pushes the door closed and it does so with a clumsy bang. Sarah presses a kiss against his lips as soon as he's turned back around. Jackson smiles into the kiss. He gently eases his hands onto her shoulders. She leans back slightly, cheeks flushed, with a look of embarrassment.

"I know we're in a good place right now Sarah but we do need to talk."

Sarah groans. She folds her hands over her chest and stalks to his bed. She drops down onto the edge of it, her eyes squarely on the floor. Jackson walks to the chair just at the foot of the bed and sits down in front of Sarah. He looks at her for a moment.

"Sarah? Listen...I'm in love with you."

Sarah's arms drop and she looks up at Jackson with a look of surprise and a touch of anticipation.

"I love you my witch. But that doesn't mean that what you did is okay. You've been withdrawn since we've left the wolves. Is it because of this?"

Sarah nods her head.

"I see. Were you going to tell me this at all?"

Sarah sighs. "Yes I was. I just didn't know when would be the right time. I didn't want you to hate me."

"Well I don't. I just need you to promise me that you won't do anymore spells that affect both of us without us having a conversation first okay?"

Sarah nods her head again. Jackson is silent a moment before he continues speaking.

"Things have been up in the air with us. I don't want us to have any tension moving forward. And I want us to be clear on what we're doing. I've been sure about this since the moment I met you. But I will wait for you. However long it takes. I've got nothing but time."

Sarah smiles slightly and she dares to look up at Jackson. "I don't want to wait anymore, Jax. I know what I want and I want to be with you. I'm sorry, really I am. We should have spoken first. I won't make another decision that affects both of us without speaking to you first. It was dumb and irrational. I get scared and I do things without thinking. It won't happen again."

Jackson chuckles. "Oh we'll see. How are you feeling?"

Sarah shrugs as she pushes herself back onto his bed. "I'm okay. I was scared for a bit then angry now I'm just exhausted but I think that's the desired effect. I've been spending a lot of time working through the grimoire. I want to learn it, memorise it. There's a spell that I was thinking about. Every spell that's cast has a unique fingerprint and I can make one that will show us the fingerprint. We may be able to trace it. If Sigrid really is using Lyjil's body we'll find her. We'll find them."

"That's incredible. You're incredible. What you mentioned earlier about trapping her in a single body. Do you think that's doable?"

"I know it is. I know for sure it is. Should we start now?"

Jackson chuckles again and he shakes his head standing up. "I'm sure it can wait for at least ten minutes. We haven't had time...alone time, just us. I'm sure we can afford to take a beat right now. We can get into it when Naomi and Raur get back."

"Well what do you want to do now?"

Jackson holds his hands out and he pulls Sarah to her feet. "I want you to practice. Don't we have a vertical garden to set up? Come on, I know it will help calm you down and we haven't done this together in a while."

Sarah grins brightly and she nods. "Oh yes! I already know what I want to grow. Come on, can we go downtown?"

Jackson pulls Sarah into a hug. He presses a kiss to the top of her head. "Of course we can go into town. Whatever you need."