Chapter Fifty: A Spell

Axel knocks twice on the grand front door of the king and queen's home. After a moment the door is pulled open. Raurlin smiles softly at him. He steps aside and Axel steps into the house. It's warm and smells of fire and vanilla candles. An eerie silence that causes him to shiver. He can hear several heartbeats.

Raurlin walks into the lounge and then past the lounge and into a gym. A thick blanket is layed on the floor and it is surrounded by various candles of various sizes. Naomi is standing to the left and between her and Jackson is an interesting looking woman with rich red hair. She smiles at him and steps forward.

"Axel, how nice to finally meet you. My name is Sarah, I'm the balancing witch. No fancy title for me, just Sarah is fine. Has Raurlin spoken to you about today?"

Axel nods his head. "Yes. You'll be doing a spell to see how far the...Illness has progressed."

"Yes. I'm very sorry that this has happened to you. I will be able to see how far it has progressed and depending on the progression I may be able to slow down the spread. This is a possibility. Rather don't get your hopes up."

"I understand."

Sarah nods and she points to the blanket. "I will need you to undress, down to your underwear. I know it's cold but this shouldn't take long."

Axel glances around the room. He swallows down then mutters "right. Okay." He shrugs off his coat and Raurlin takes in, folding it over his forearm. He pulls a jersey over his head then his shirt. He kicks off his boots and drops his hands. He adjusts his underwear slightly.

"Lie down," Sarah instructs and he complies lying on the blanket. It's lush and soft against his skin. She settles on her knees at his head. "This spell is a blood magick spell. I'm going to need your blood and mine. It is going to cover your body. Okay?"

Axel holds a hand up, open palmed. Sarah guides the hand over his chest. She lifts a small knife and presses the blade into his palm. His skin splits open. Blood drops onto his chest and he jumps slightly once then twice. Sarah releases his hand and he places it back down at her side. He looks up at her.

She nods reassuringly. "Close your eyes, try to stay calm."

Axel complies and shuts his eyes. Sarah holds a palm of her own over his chest and she slices into her skin. Her blood drops into his and instantly she begins reciting an incantation. The blood swirls into a single pool and the candles flare. Axel can feel the heat radiate against his skin. The room is in silence aside from Sarah.

She continues to speak louder and clearly. The blood spreads against his skin like veins running along his torso and down his legs. It moves slowly, dragging against his skin. Axel tenses, doing his best to lie still. From his side he can feel someone kneel beside him and hold his hand. He squeezes it.

The blood spreads to a stop. It begins shaking, as if vibrating. The deep red seeps to a thick black. Smoke rises from the black substance until the substance is completely gone and the smoke lingers then drops onto his skin landing in streaks of ash.

Sarah grows quiet. The silence becomes unbearably loud and Axel shifts uncomfortably.

"You can open your eyes," Sarah tells him softly. "Why don't you go have a shower? Jax."

Axel peels his eyes open. Beside him Naomi is on her knees holding his hand. She squeezes it then lets it go. Jackson leans forward holding a hand out. He pulls Axel to his feet. Axel looks down at his body that is covered in ash. It falls onto the blanket as he stands.

"You can cover with the blanket, I'll show you to my room. You can use the shower there. I'll carry your clothes then we can talk."

Axel wraps the blanket over his shoulders as Jackson gathers his clothes. Jackson walks ahead of him through the lounge and up the stairs. Axel follows closely behind him into a neat bedroom and then into a bathroom.

"You'll find your way back down?" Jackson asks.

Axel nods his head but remains silent. Jackson mutters "good." He walks out the bathroom shutting the door behind him. He trots quickly downstairs and walks back into the gym. Sarah and Naomi are sitting cross legged on the floor and Raurlin is leaning against a wall with his arms folded. Jackson nods his head as he walks into the room.

"I don't know what to make of this," Sarah admits. "By this spell he should be too far gone already. There's nothing I can do to slow it or anything. I'm not even sure how he's of sound mind right now."

"Maybe it's his concern for Soraya that's pushing him?" Naomi asks.

"It's possible," Jackson states. "Unlikely but possible. What do we do?"

"Tell him the truth," Sarah says. "He deserves to know the truth. Raur?"

"Yes, the truth. But we need to keep a close eye on him and Soraya. If he tries to hurt her there's nothing we can do if we're not close."

"Come let's go to the lounge, I'll tell the girls to put the kettle on." Naomi stands up and she pulls Sarah to her feet. "I'll ask them to come tidy up here too."

Naomi and Sarah walk ahead of Raurlin and Jackson to the lounge. Sarah flops down onto the couch and Naomi continues into the kitchen. Raurlin and Jackson settle down too. Sarah holds her hands out to the burning fireplace. Shortly after Naomi returns. And shortly after that Axel walks into the lounge fully dressed again.

"Come, sit," Sarah motions for the couch and Axel sits down hesitantly. "Axel, there's no easy way to say this but the Illness has progressed further than anything that would make it remotely possible for me to help. That being said, you're still in a relatively sound mind. We think it's because of Soraya. You don't want to abandon her. The worst of it could set in at any moment. It's dangerous for you to be alone with Soraya."

Axel drops his head into his hands. His breathing is shallow.

"I can do a protective spell for Soraya. But if you lose control..."

"Speaking of," Naomi pipes in, "how is she doing?"

Axel rubs at his temples. "She is fine, Your Grace. She is becoming interested in meeting true death. I suppose now it may not be such a bad idea..."

"Axel," Raurlin says "you have our full support. We are actively setting up a space for those affected by the Illness. And if you feel that Soraya may be in danger then you call us."

Axel exhales loudly. He leans back on the couch, his eyes filled with tears. "I will have to tell her. It will only push her to death. Do you know what she said to me?" Axel chuckles humourlessly. "She wants to have an epic death."

"Epic death?" Naomi asks, sitting up straighter.