Chapter Ten: Locale

Naomi slides into the driver's side of the large black SUV. Sarah hops into the passenger seat beside her with a huff. She runs a hand through her hair then straps her seatbelt across her chest. Naomi pushes the key into the ignition and turns it. From the rear view mirror she can see Jackson, Raurlin and Stellan standing at the front door. None of them are speaking, instead they're standing shoulder to shoulder, arms crossed, in serious silence.

Naomi steers the car down the driveway. Once they're on the road and out of earshot Naomi turns the volume on the radio down slightly.

"I can't believe he insisted on us taking this car. As if this is less conspicuous. It's a wonder he didn't insist on driving us himself. Right then, where are we going?"

Sarah pulls her phone out her pocket and she unlocks the screen. "I've already put the location on the GPS. All you need to do is follow it."

The voice on the GPS instructs a left turn 100 meters down the road.

"I think you're being a little harsh on Jackson," Naomi admits to Sarah with a glance at her best friend.

Sarah rolls her eyes with a wave of her hand. "Hardly. I am from the lineage of witches he killed and now he wants to protect me? I don't think so. I'm not some fragile thing. I prevented a civil war before it even happened. I'm stronger than all of you. It's my magick that has made Raurlin what he is."

Naomi returns the eyeroll. "No one is arguing your new found strength and feminism. All I'm saying is you haven't even asked him for his version of events. You haven't given him the opportunity to be honest with you. Anger with no truth is baseless anger."

Sarah huffs again. "Maybe. Anyways I have a very interesting morning planned for us. A little trying if I'm being honest and I just need you to be patient okay? I need you to trust me."

"I never stopped trusting you."

The rest of the car ride is filled with silence. Naomi follows the GPS until she comes to a halt in a parking spot at a small neat clinic. She pulls the parking break up then looks at Sarah with a weary frown. Sarah ignores the look and unbuckles her seatbelt. She pushes the door open and hops out the car banging the door behind her. Naomi winces then does the same. The two stand beside each other looking at the entrance.

Naomi can hear Sarah's heart beat begin to quicken steadily. She clasps onto her hand firmly. Sarah's hand is warm and almost clammy. Naomi can feel the coldness of her fingers as they lie against her friend's skin.

"Alright, all powerful one. Here we are. What's the plan?"

"We go in."

The two walk hand in hand into the clinic. There is a small reception area with a few grey plastic chairs lined against the wall in front of the small reception desk. Along the wall there is an array of posters pinned with multi-coloured pins. The posters map out health concerns Naomi will never have to worry about. Not anymore.

A petite elderly woman walls into the reception area with a clipboard in hand. She is scribbling on the stack of papers clipped to the board. She has turtle framed glasses sitting loosely on the bridge of her nose. She glances up at Naomi and Sarah with a warm smile.

"Morning dears. How can I help?"

"Hi there," Sarah says brightly, taking charge of the conversation, "we're new to town and we're just trying to get our bearings. Wanted to make sure we know our way around important places like this clinic."

"Well firstly welcome to Aranholm and Aranholm clinic. Where are you from originally?"

"Baneery," Naomi responds quickly with a flushed smile.

The woman smiles gently at Naomi. "I used to frequent Baneery when I was younger. The Baneery bridge is quite exquisite. In fact my grandfather did some work on the bridge. He's down at the home. Once he passed a certain age he needed a live-in facility. Dementia."

"I'm sorry to hear that." Sarah offers a sad smile.

"Not your fault dear. Now can I get you two set up with some paperwork?"

The woman settles in a chair behind the desk and begins rifling through papers on the desk.

"That won't be necessary but thank you. I'm sure my uh...husband will come in with me to handle the paperwork. It's more his thing than mine." Naomi forces another smile.

"Of course yes. Good to have a husband that can see to this kind of stuff. Well then what can I do for you? A tour perhaps?"

"Do you have a blood donation facility?" Sarah asks innocently.

At the word blood Naomi's senses seem to kick into overdrive. She can feel the familiar pounding begin to grow behind her eyes but this time it's coupled with a restlessness in her chest that seems to filter into her legs screaming at her to run. Naomi turns to face the wall behind her and she starts reading through the pamphlets on the wall. Taking her time with each one, reading each word deliberately slow. Once her breathing has settled she turns to Sarah who is already at the end of the passageway with the woman at her side. Naomi takes long strides to where her best friend is standing.

The woman smiles at the two of them then walks back to her desk where she sits down. Naomi looks at Sarah with a raised eyebrow. Sarah frowns then with the quick shake of her head turns to the passageway in front of them. The passageway leads to the left and to the right with a small statue in front of them. Above the statue is a painting of a stern looking man with an elaborate beard and moustache. Sarah steps to the left and Naomi falls into stride beside her.

"Down the right leads to the wards," Sarah explains and Naomi nods her head. "I can hear the beeping of the machines."

"Right then down this way are the offices. There's a gynae, pediatrician and oncologist. At the end of the passageway there's a blood donation service. Being a small town there is often an excess in reserves."

The two fall into step beside each other.

"I know it's difficult for you Naomi to have to do this. But understand the blood that you're going to be consuming is coming from people who are still alive. You don't have to kill for this. It just has to be done in a way that is easier for you to rationalize. And for every blood bag you need I'd be more than happy to donate." 

Authors Note:
This book is a Wattpad exclusive if you're reading this anywhere else then my work was published without my authorisation.