Chapter Fifty Nine: Steal Away

Sarah drops her paper into the flames and watches it burn. Jackson wraps an arm around her shoulders. "What favour do you need from the Gods?" Jackson asks teasingly. Sarah rolls her eyes with a chuckle. "Success," she tells him. "How do you think the evening is going?"

"Good," Jackson says. "Very good. Although I fear Etta and Ian may never leave. Look at him now."

Their eyes fall on Ian who is dancing in the middle of the yard with his eyes on the sky. He waves his arms as if imitating seawood. Sarah grins.

"I love him, what is he doing?"

"Harnessing the full power of the new moon because he has mommy and daddy issues," Soraya explains as she stands beside Sarah. "The king and queen have escaped to their study so I think I will be escaping to Naomi's room. I'm still the only human here and this human body needs sleep. Is it okay if I steal away?"

Jackson frowns down at Soraya. "Of course you can go to bed, Raya. Why are you asking us if that's fine?"

Soraya huffs. "You're the king and queen's resolute. Why wouldn't I ask you?"

Jackson nods slowly. He grins at Sarah and kisses her forehead. "Seems while the king and queen are occupied we are in charge. What will be our first order of business?" Sarah giggles against him. "Get some rest Raya, you and your uncle can stay here tonight. Jax you and I can see to it that even if we have overnight visitors there is adequate space. I'm glad the tiny home construction happened quickly, the young wolves will share space with their parents. Mikain and Sandy will take a room upstairs, same as Raya and Axel. The drivers can take up camp in the gym, you check in with the wolves and I check in with Horatio?"

Jackson kisses Sarah's forehead again as Soraya smiles at them. She awkwardly bows then makes for the inside. "You're going to be good at this," Jackson tells Sarah as the two separate. Jackson walks onto the lawn. He hesitantly approaches Fabian.

"Ian, sorry to interrupt whatever this is, but we're making sleep arrangements. Will you and Etta be staying the night?"

"Jax! Thank you for offering you're most kind but please you must leave me to confront the Father and Mother in peace, this isn't going to be pretty. Only worse...much worse." Fabian falls still and raises his fists to the sky. "Why?" he cries out in demand.

Jackson says nothing but walks further into the forest. He crouches down gently and calls out lowly "Rhonan...hey buddy, it's Jax. A quick word? I don't know if you can hear me like this. But if you can understand me I need to talk to you quickly. It's not serious. Rhonan..."

A medium sized wolf with glowing eyes slowly approaches Jackson. Jackson swallows down hard. He remains completely still. The speckled grey wolf comes to a halt just before him and sits down, keeping his eyes squarely on Jackson.

"Your parents and the boy's parents will stay out here with you for the night. Your alpha and his wife will stay inside with the baby and us. They will be safe. Take as much time as you want out here, have fun and if you need anything I will leave the kitchen door unlocked okay? Now remember vamp hearing compared to yours. Just be careful when coming into the house. Can you give me a sign that you hear me? That you understand?"

The wolf throws its head back and allows a short howl. Jackson grins and nods. He reaches forward and the wolf allows himself to be rubbed slightly before he darts back to his playing. Jackson walks into the house and into the foyer. The front door is open and Sarah is walking inside and upstairs.

"The bulk of drivers have inflatable mattresses, it seems they were prepared for this but Horatio is making sure that there's enough blood and food to go around. Hot drinks as well and blankets. I've let the drivers know that the kitchen door will be unlocked. That okay?"

Jackson nods. "It's perfect. I've also settled things with the wolves.I think I spoke to Rhonan and he understood." Jackson chuckles. "Come let's regroup with the king and queen. We can start tidying up and sorting our rooms. Once Horatio is in he will need to set the rooms."

The study door opens and Raurlin and Naomi walk out. Naomi looks pale, slightly as if the colour is returning to her face. "No need to go hunting for us, we're here. Slight mishap but we're okay. Thank you for taking over temporarily. Let's make sure Mikain and Sandy are set up first then we can set up Ian and Etta down here and maybe Hestia and Casimir too although I suspect they have hotel plans. Where's Raya?"

"Upstairs," Sarah confirms. "She's going to be in your bed she says."

"And we're certain that she's wearing the bracelet?"

Sarah nods again. "Okay good. We've got work to do. Raur, can you check in with Axel? I'm worried about him. He's been very quiet all night."

Raurlin nods his agreement at Sarah's words. "Yes I will get Axel. We need to be ready from this point. Naomi, you and Sarah setup upstairs. I want that soundproofing spell done to perfection, Sarah."

Naomi holds a hand out to Sarah and the two trot quickly upstairs. Jackson turns to Raurlin."What is my move?" Jackson asks Raurlin. Raurlin looks at Jackson over his shoulder. "What you do best Jax, intel." Jackson stifles a smile. "Consider it done."

Raurlin walks through the lounge and outside. He strains to listen as the wolves howl and yelp and grunt. The vampires litter the lounge, watching on as the wolves claim the garden. Raurlin scans the room then slips back into the foyer. At once he can hear a hauntingly beautiful singing. He follows the sound into the kitchen and out of the back door. Axel is leaning against the building with a lit cigar in his hand. He is looking up at the night sky, carrying tune into the cold winds of the night.

He falls silent as he sees Raurlin. He inhales on his cigar. His eyes filled with tears. "I was saving this cigar for an important occasion, like maybe her wedding day. I thought she'd marry Dale. He's a good boy. Terrified of me, that's what I like about him. He'd know better than to try and hurt my baby girl. Your grace I..."

Axel inhales a deep breath and the tears spill onto his cheeks. Raurlin pulls Axel into a hug and the cigar falls from his hand onto the ground. He weeps into the shoulder of his king. Raurlin holds him steadily. Once Axel is able to compose himself he straightens and leans back against the wall. His eyes are on the sky.

Raurlin presses his forehead to Axel's. "The Mother Moon will cradle her in her arms, she will reach into her being and settle her fear, if briefly she will know the wonders of this world and if eternally she will be safe with The Mother and her mother. You did good Axel. You did good, it's okay now. I swear by the Gods, it's okay now. Finish singing me that song."

Axel sniffles and he forces a harsh laugh. He shuts his eyes and inhales deeply. He begins singing the song over.