Chapter Nine: Horatio

There's a loud knocking on the door and the entire table falls silent. The knock echoes right through the house and Naomi looks at Raurlin with a deep frown. Her heartbeat kicks up a notch and she finds her hands clutching onto her knife and fork. Jackson pushes his chair out from beneath him.

"Jackson '' Sarah pleads and he raises a hand with a look at Raurlin. "Allow me" he states and Raurlin nods his head. Jackson walks out the dining room and their tenseness remains almost tangible as the heavy front doors are pulled open. Jackson and another seat of footsteps make their way into the dining room. Jackson ushers a small old man into the dining room. He's dressed in a neat black suit complete with a black tie. He has silvery tired eyes complete with heavy bags. His silver hair is combed backwards neatly.

"My king" Jackson addresses Raurlin "a guest."

Raurlin motions for an empty seat and the old man settles down. He has thin veiny hands that tremble slightly as he pulls the chair alongside Jackson back and settles down. Raurlin glances at Jackson as Jackson settles back into his seat. Raurlin sets his cutlery down and he leans back in his chair. Naomi looks to Stellan for direction and Stellan lifts his fork slightly and continues eating. Naomi nods once and turns her attention back to her plate.

"Good morning Sir. Please do not address me as your majesty or my king. You may call me Raurlin.'

The old man shakes his head much to everyone's surprise. "Perhaps your grace would be more appropriate."

Raurlin is pensive than with a look at Naomi nods once. "Have you travelled far, Sir?"

"From Baneery, your grace." Naomi straightens at the name of her hometown. Her eyes fall on the little man.

"And what can I do for you, Sir?"

The little man inhales, searching for the right words. "News has travelled fast, your grace. Many are aware of the unique circumstances that have given rise to your reign. It is not what you can do for me but rather what I may perhaps do for you. I have experience in household management and-"

"I could not have you as a butler, Sir. The days of old have long passed us."

The old man lowers his head.

"It would honour me, your grace. I ask only that you consider it. It would bring me great honour in the same way my brother honoured your majesty."

The old man lifts his eyes and he looks to Stellan who drops his fork with a look of pure shock on his face. Stellan wipes at his eyes and he turns to Raurlin with a pleading look.

"Your grace," Stellan pleads "accept his offer."

Raurlin raises a hand and Naomi settles her cutlery down. Jackson and Sarah mimic her.

"Sir, I do not understand." Raurlin states.

The old man nods his agreement. "You would not understand. My brother and I were the oldest of our kind. That meant we would always have a target on our backs. We both knew it but he was always braver than me. I went into hiding. Had I not he may still be alive. He brought honour to our house and perhaps I may honour his death."

Raurlin is silent. Stellan is wiping at his eyes and Jackson is looking at the old man in a state of pure shock.

"Your name, Sir."

"Horatio."

"Of course. And your brother's name, Sir."

"Lyjil."

"Be he at peace Horatio and may you find solace in our home." Raurlin takes hold of Naomi's hand. "Horatio this is my aeturnum, Naomi. She will be your queen too. Thank you for seeking us out. Thank you for making your service available to my family. You will always be welcome here. Please help yourself to breakfast. We can iron out the details after breakfast."

Horatio lowers his head. "Thank you your grace but at my age this food has little to no value. Perhaps I may acquaint myself with your home?"

Raurlin nods his head and Horatio rises slowly from the table then walks out the dining room. Raurlin slumps into his chair and he looks at Stellan. "I never knew Lyjil had a brother." Stellan nods his head. "It was his choice to keep it a secret, Raur. I always respected that." Raurlin nods his head. He then turns his attention to Naomi and Sarah.

"Lyjil was Stellans right hand. He was one of the oldest of our kinds. I knew him well as did Jackson. He damn near raised us alongside Stellan. I trust Horatio but should either of you feel uncomfortable at any point then I will ask him to leave."

"Thank you for saying that. I do believe everything should be fine. We'll give it time and see how it goes."

Raurlin nods once at Naomi. "Now if you and Sarah are insisting on venturing into this new town alone, so be it but you will take my car and you will answer any phone call or message coming from one of us. If there is any level of hesitation out there you will come home immediately. Am I understood?"

Naomi nods her head then nudges Sarah who despite her hesitation nods her agreement too.

"We'll be back soon," Naomi tells him. "We won't be out long, Raur. I have an afternoon appointment with Stellan." Naomi nods at Stellan with a smile.

"And with me," Jackson adds with a small smile.

Naomi nods again and she stands up. Raurlin stands too and he takes hold of Naomi's hand. The two walk hand in hand into the foyer. Raurlin digs in his pants and he hands Naomi his car keys. He pulls Naomi into a hug.

"Be safe out there Naomi. You heard what Horatio said, news travels fast in the supernatural community. If you get uncomfortable at all you come right back home. If you can't you call me. Stellan is fast but I'm faster."

Naomi nods her agreement against Raurlin's chest. "I'm sorry about the coat, Raur."

Raurlin chuckles. "It's okay. It suits you. We'll look into your family history, Naomi. We're going to figure things out."

In the dining room Sarah stands up. She is examining something on her phone as Jackson stands up. He walks round the table to where Sarah is standing. He tucks Sarah under his arm as Sarah locks her phone and puts it in her pocket.

"I didn't mean to be forceful. I just want you to be safe."

"I'm not a fragile thing, Jax. Naomi and I can take care of ourselves."

"But just because you can doesn't mean you should have to. I want to protect you."

"Oh the almighty witch protector."

With that Sarah shrugs off Jackson's arm and she makes for the foyer. Jackson sighs heavily and drops into the empty chair beside Stellan. Stellan clamps a hand on Jackson's tense shoulder.

"You'll need to be honest with her son," Stellan suggests quietly.

"I know." Jackson responds curtly. 

Authors Note:
This book is a Wattpad exclusive if you're reading this anywhere else then my work was published without my authorisation.