Chapter Forty-Five: Reunion

Soraya runs a hand through her hair. She holds a hand out to her uncle. The same way she did when she was a young child. When she was afraid. Axel takes a hold of her hand with a tight smile.

"It's okay Raya, let me do the talking okay?"

Soraya swallows down hard then nods. Axel urges her forward and they walk up the stairs to the front doors of the extravagant house in front of them. They come to a stop at the front door and Axel reaches forward, knocking twice.

After a brief moment a door is pulled open. A short, old man steps to the side. He is dressed neatly in a suit. He draws his glistening eyes upward with a glance between Axel and Soraya. His expression is blank, void of emotion.

"Good afternoon, please follow me."

The short man gestures a hand to inside the house and Axel steps in first with Soraya following shortly after. The house inside is warm and smells of burning sage. The short man strides quickly into a room to the right. He stops at the door.

Axel squeezes Soraya's hand then nods at the short man. He steps into the room and for a moment Soraya doesn't want to follow in after him. She feels as if she is drifting out of her body. Floating just above herself.

There is a thick mahogany table in the middle of the room. At the head of the table is a man, he has a single braid in his hair. He is leaning back in his chair sipping on a glance of wine. Beside him to his left is a strikingly beautiful woman with soft eyes.

There are candles scattered around the room and an array of fruits and cheeses along the middle of the table. Axel drops to a low bow and he tugs and Soraya down too. Her hair falls forward as she drops her eyes to the wood floor.

"My King, my Queen..."

The man waves a hand dismissively and Axel straightens. Soraya straightens too. The man gestures to the chairs and Axel steps forward, pulling Soraya too. He pulls a chair out from under the table and Soraya sits down. She knots her hands in her lap and keeps her eyes squarely on a strawberry.

Axel sits down beside her, he rests his hands on the table. He looks between the man and the woman. The old man walks into the room with a tray tucked under his arm. "Mr Axel, Miss Soraya would you like something to drink?"

Soraya can feel her head shake. Axel clears his throat. "Yes, a coffee please and herbal tea for my niece." The man nods then walks out of the room.

"Well good afternoon, both of you. It's good to finally put a face to a name. My name is Naomi and this is Raurlin. You may address either of us as Your Grace. What's your name?"

Naomi's eyes fall on Soraya. Soraya dares to look up at her. "Soraya..."

"Your Grace," Axel adds quickly under his breath.

"Soraya, Your Grace," Soraya adds quickly. Naomi smiles a soft smile.

"It's lovely to meet you Soraya. What's your last name?"

Soraya glances at Axel for approval and Axel nods.

"Hollands, Your Grace."

Naomi pauses and lifts her wine glass. She takes a slow long sip, her eyes falling on Raurlin. Raurlin battles back what looks like a small smile. Raurlin turns his direction to Axel.

"You're her uncle, so you're a Hollands too?"

Axel shakes his head. "No Your Grace, I am her mother's brother. She was named Eugenie. She married into the Hollands family. Her father was named Mikkel. Mikkel Hollands. The family originates from Olimvik. Both sides. As time went the family became more solidified in their human nature, they changed their names and surnames. It's difficult to gather accurate information or attempt a fair representation at a family tree."

"Be they both at peace with the Gods now."

Axel nods his agreement and echoes "be they at peace."

Naomi gestures to the spread on the table. "Please feel free to help yourselves. Soraya you're still human I'm sure you must be hungry."

Soraya smiles and reaches forward. She fills her side plate with an array of fruits and cheese, topped off with crackers of every kind. Naomi watches on as Soraya digs into the meal before her. After a brief moment of silence Naomi clears her throat.

"Soraya...how did your parents die?"

"Home invasion...robbery..."

"Gone wrong?" Naomi adds and Soraya looks up at her wide eyed. She nods her head as she chews her food down.

"Your Grace if I may ask..." Axel looks to Naomi for approval. Naomi shrugs.

"You may not. I'm undecided about you Axel. You play the role of concerned uncle very well. Does she know everything?" Naomi looks from Soraya back to Axel. Soraya perks up slightly.

"She does not Your Grace."

"I thought as much. Soraya, would you like to take a walk with me?" Naomi stands up before she responds and makes for the door. Soraya pushes her chair back as she stands. She follows quickly after Naomi. Once they've left the room Raurlin levels a look at Axel.

"I'm glad we're finally meeting, Axel. I have heard a great deal about you. You have a lot of explaining to do. But I'm not interested in that right now.I understand that you've met my right hand...how did you find him?"

"He's a good man, Your Grace. I owe you an apology. The way I have conducted myself...please understand everything that I have done I've done for Soraya. She's a good girl. She's still human...the way her parents died, real ugly stuff. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to her."

Raurlin lifts his glass again. He sips his wine. "I get that. I will allow this one pardon, Axel. This one and one alone. You have the opportunity to have met us now. You know where we are. Should something come up I expect it to be dealt with through the proper channels. How far along is it?"

Axel raises an eyebrow. "What?"

Raurlin tilts his head. He raises an eyebrow too. Axel's eyes fall back to the table. He inhales a deep breath.

"I don't know. I've had my suspicions. It's progressing quickly, Your Grace. The hunger has become...I fear I may harm her. Or someone else. I don't know what to do."

"I happen to know a witch. We may be able to cast a spell that will tell us how much time you have. Axel despite the circumstance that we find ourselves in today I want to offer you a most sincere apology. The Illness is vicious. My father succumbed not too long ago. I will not allow Soraya to see you fall. Cherish the time you still have with her. When the time comes, and you know when that time will be, you bring her here. We will take her into our home. We will raise her among us as one of our own. Do you understand?"

Axel swipes at his eyes. "Thank you, Your Grace," his voice cracks at the words. "I would be honoured for your witch to cast a spell."

Raurlin chuckles. "Believe me, she is not my witch. She is very much her own person. She's the strongest there is, she will be able to help you, Axel."

"I am eternally grateful, Your Grace."