Chapter Forty-Two: A Request

Axel lifts his head up and pries his eyes open. He allows his vision a moment to adjust to the sun that is pouring into his room. His head throbs as he swallows down the sandpaper in his throat. From downstairs he can smell dough rising and he can hear music playing. Soraya and Dale are chatting casually as they do every morning.

Axel heaves his body out of his bed. His entire frame aches as he stands up. He forces himself through a series of stretches forcing his body to loosen even if it's slightly. He treads into the bathroom and swings the door closed. It bangs and he winces, covering his ears briefly. He turns the shower knob on and the water gushes then heats up immediately.

He pulls his top off his head then drops his pants onto the floor. He steps under the water and it scorches across his skin. He runs his hand through his hair and slouches against the wall of the shower. His gums ache and he does his best to control the feeling but with a burst of hunger his fangs protrude painfully, drawing blood as they do.

Axel runs his tongue over his teeth and he spits a mouthful of blood onto the shower floor. He watches as the water rinses the blood down the drain. Briefly he loses his vision and the walls spin around him. Axel clenches down onto his teeth and presses an open palm against the wall. He is able to regain control of his body.

It had been a mere two weeks since he met Jackson and the silence from his king and queen is a growing concern for him. A point of fear. He knows of course what the symptoms mean. He knows that he is deteriorating quickly. He knows that it's a matter of time but before the inevitable he needs to make sure that Soraya will be fine. Safe navigating a supernatural world that she will be on the backfoot as a human. A human who carries the gene.

Axel steps into the bedroom again and he dries himself off quickly. Today is remarkably warmer. The winter winds persist but today there is sunshine and not just the usual sleet and snow. He pulls on a pair of comfortable jeans and a thick wool jersey. He tops the look off with his family's traditional coat. He examines himself in the mirror. He is smaller, ever so slightly but he knows he is. He opens the mini fridge along his bedside and pulls out a blood bag. There are three left, from a supply that should have lasted him the month.

He tears the top open and draws it to his lips. He sucks in a breath and draws the liquid into his mouth. Axel props onto the edge of the bed and pulls his boots on after slipping on a pair of thick socks. He walks out the door and follows the steps downstairs. He walks into the pizzeria pausing at the bottom of the stairs briefly, forcing his mind to remember this moment.

"Uncle Axe, you okay over there? Hungry again?" Soraya's question is meant to sound light and curious but Axel can clearly hear the worry in the underlying tone.

"Yeah all fine. We don't need to worry about me, Raya. Morning Dale."

"Morning Sir. Perhaps Raya and I can make a blood run?"

Axel nods his agreement as he walks to the counter where Dale is standing. He hands the empty blood bag to Dale. He settles a look at him.

"Call me Axel son. I'm off to the sheriffs again today Raya. I will keep you updated, call me if you need me okay?"

"Are you going to be okay? Maybe you shouldn't go out today?"

Axel smiles softly at Soraya. "Of course I'll be fine, Raya. I'll see you for lunch."

Axel walks to the front door and just as he's reaching for the door handle Soraya calls after him. He turns to face her, forcing a confident smile.

"Do we have to be worried that we haven't heard from the king and queen yet?"

Axel forces himself not to react to the question. He pulls Soraya into her hug and kisses the top of her head. He drops his head to her ear. "Keep things about yourself quiet from Dale okay? I'll be back soon enough."

"I know," Soraya retorts with an eyeroll. She pulls away from him and walks back to the counter where Dale is standing.

Axel slips out the front door and begins his walk down the road. The walk to the station is quick and his breakfast keeps him going through the biting bristles of the bitter winter air. Axel pushes the door open and steps inside. It is busier today with officers scattered around the station. Stella is still at the main reception desk. Her eyes fall onto Axel and she perks up, adjusting her hair.

"Axel," she calls out, "you're back. How can I help today?"

Axel walks to the desk and leans against the counter with a somewhat menacing smile. It is despite his best efforts. His eyes settle on her neck, the pulsating vein leading just into her full cleavage. Axel licks his lips slowly, trying to settle his breathing. Before he can respond the sheriff strides out from his office. Axel settles his gaze on the sheriff. The sheriff merely points to his office and walks inside.

Axel follows into his office and he settles down on a chair in front of the sheriff's desk. Lexand settles down on the edge of the desk with a huff. He folds his arms over his chest.

"I'm no longer afraid of you," Lexand informs him.

Axel smirks and Lexand continues speaking.

"I know that you'll no longer be bothering me or my people. Do you want to know how I know that?"

Axel shrugs. Lexand chuckles, as if pleased with himself.

"Your king requests a meeting."

Axel stiffens then stands. He nods once. "I understand, well then thank you for your time." He walks briskly out of the station and into the cold air outside. Axel can feel his breathing begin to quicken. Anxiety comes crashing down on him. He allows a moment to settle himself before he begins walking back to the pizzeria.