Chapter Twenty-One: History

Naomi settles into Raurlin's chair in his study and he watches her from the window where he is sitting. She taps her fingers on the top of the desk then looks up at Raurlin with a smile.

"I like your office. I think I want one too."

"Consider it done, Naomi. You know what I want to talk to you about..."

"Yes. Delilah. I don't know why she's here. I don't know why she'd show up now. I don't want her here but I know that we can't just kick her out either. She's an alcoholic and she needs help, but if she doesn't admit to that then there's nothing we can do."

"I suspect she's here for another reason but you're right. We'll try and help her. And hopefully we can gain some insight into your family."

Naomi nods. "Yes, Stellan is already onto it."

Stellan nods his agreement. "With your permission, Raurlin and Naomi, allow me to deal with Delilah. You're right about one thing. She's sick and she needs our help. Allow me to get her sober. Naomi, we can finally piece together your family tree. And while I am with her, perhaps I can figure out why she is here at all."

Naomi nods her agreement. She looks at Raurlin. Raurlin nods. "This is your call Naomi. You're the queen. I will respect your decision. Regardless of how I feel."

Naomi raises an eyebrow. "And how do you feel?"

Raurlin offers a tight smile. "Close your eyes," he instructs and Naomi complies. He walks to where she is sitting. He reaches down and lifts her hand and presses it against his chest. Raurlin holds his hand over her own and he inhales and exhales deeply. Naomi's hand stiffens. Stellan forces himself up and he clears his throat.

"Excuse me," he mutters and makes for the door. Naomi opens her eyes just as Stellan shuts the door behind him. She looks up at Raurlin and his golden eyes are glowing intently. He settles onto the desk, still holding Naomi's hand in his own.

"What did she do to you, my queen?"

Naomi forces a smile. "She has always been a drunk. She is my mothers sister. And she blamed me for my mother's death. We never spoke about my parents death. Not in detail. I can't today. But I was around ten years old when I eventually settled with her and she drank from the day I arrived until the day I left. I raised myself. I taught myself everything I know. I got a job in my teens and I provided for us to take care of the home. Day in and day out she drank and drank and drank. I would find her passed out, covered in her own vomit. I would clean her up. She would drink again. She was verbally abusive. Physically abusive. I left as soon as I could. My parent's, well everything, became mine once I turned eighteen. I moved out shortly after and I haven't seen her since. I used to see a therapist. Sarah knows the details of everything."

"Would you like her to leave?"

Naomi shakes her head. "I'm so angry. But I pity her. I got better. I mean look at me now." Naomi chuckles with a glance at Raurlin. "She didn't. She never got better. She is stuck in the past but the past has no place for me anymore. We have to help her. For my mom. But I need her to stay away from me for now."

Raurlin nods again. "I will speak to Stellan. I will have Horatio set up a room for her alongside Stellan's. I think this is the best course of action for now. Jackson will do some digging on this Axel fellow. I want to be honest with you about something. I'm concerned about the witch. Sigrid. It's been too quiet. Jackon will do some digging on that too."

Naomi stands up. She kisses Raurlin's temple, running a hand through his hair. "My king. If you'll excuse me I need to get some air. I'm going to take a walk."

Naomi walks around the desk and makes for the door. She twists the door handle then glances over her shoulder. "And don't even think about following me, Raur. No one is going to try anything. They won't have the opportunity to."

"Be safe out there, aeturnum."

Naomi slips out the door. She walks into the kitchen. Horatio is standing at the sink with his sleeves rolled and he is washing the breakfast plates. Naomi walks past him and pulls the fridge open, ignoring her hesitation.

"Your grace, I mean no offence but I have fixed your cup." Horatio looks at Naomi with a knowing look and a short nod.

Naomi swallows and reaches into the fridge. She pulls out the glittery cup and examines it. Naomi turns to face Horatio who has gone back to washing the dishes.

"Horatio?"

"Yes, your grace?"

"Have you heard of something like this before? A baby vamp not being able to..."

Horatio dries his hands on a dish towel and he walks to where Naomi is standing.

"I have. It is uncommon but I have been around for many many years. It's the first hurdle that you have to get over. The first time. The first taste."

"And what's on the other side?"

Horatio pauses, clasping his hands together. "Hunger. Constant, extreme and insatiable hunger."

Naomi clenches down on her teeth. Horatio continues speaking.

"But soon you're able to control it. And you can feel it make you stronger and faster. You can feel it give you life. You just have to do it once. Just once your grace. And I will be here on the other side. You will never be alone. Not again."

"Thank you, Horatio.I'll be back shortly."

Horatio nods and watches on as Naomi walks out the kitchen. He hears her pull open the front door and then the door slams shut.