Chapter Twelve: Tracker

Naomi pulls the handbrake up in front of a small shopping centre. Sarah lifts her phone up and locks the screen after turning the GPS off. Naomi inhales and exhales deeply. It's noisy. Almost too noisy. Naomi squeezes her eyes shut.

She leans back against the car seat and the headrest. A burst of noise seems to be banging against the very fabric of the car and Naomi winces. She clenches down hard on her cheeks and a sudden shift seems to slam into her. It's an uncomfortable restless feeling that sends goosebumps all across her kids.

Sarah is about to push the door open then she turns to Naomi with a question. Her best friend is resting against the car seat and she is pale faced and trembling. Sarah drops a hand into Naomi's and Naomi jerks then prys her eyes open. They are glowing and pulsating.

"I'm sorry. I don't know what's just come over me."

"How can I help?"

"I just need to focus on something. Consistent."

Sarah squeezes Naomi's hand and Naomi dares to face her. Sarah has a gentle, easy smile. She lifts Naomi's hand and presses it to her chest. Naomi allows her hand to be guided to her best friend's chest. Sarah's chest rises and falls and Naomi can feel the vibration of her breathing under her skin. The steady thumping of her heartbeat lulls a certain drumming into Naomi's ears until it's the only thing she hears.

There's a rich and unexpected smell of blood that swirls up in between them. Naomi's gums begin to ache and she runs her tongue along her teeth before biting down hard on her tongue.

"I can smell blood but you're not bleeding."

Sarah flushes with a chuckle. "Feeling better? Come on, let's go!"

Sarah drops Naomi's hand and she hops out the car clutching her handbag against her side. Naomi watches on in brief confused silence before she forces herself out the car. Naomi takes a few long strides to catch up to her best friend. The two intertwine hands and begin walking in between the different shops.

Naomi flings the boot open and she dumps her and Sarah's shopping bags in. Sarah types away on her phone beside Naomi. Their shopping trip proved to be incredibly successful and exorbitant upon Raurlin insisting they use his bank card for any purchases.

Sarah insisted that since Naomi is a newly borne vampire she should have no problem carrying their bags. Naomi didn't argue wanting to test the limits of her new body.

Naomi pulls the boot shut with a shiver. She shoves her hands into the warm pockets of Raurlins coat. Sarah huffs as the two embark in Raurlins car.

"Can you believe Jax? What is with him and sending five thousand texts?"

Naomi turns the key in the ignition with an eye roll. She turns the heating on and waits for a few moments.

"Okay how many messages did he actually send, Sarah?"

Sarah turns the radio on as Naomi pulls out of the parking lot.

"Three messages are still a lot, Naomi. And a missed call! He needs to just take it easy."

Naomi chuckles. The car ride back to their new home is quiet and comfortable and briefly things feel normal. Or some new version of normal.

The car rolls to a stop at the large gate and the elaborate gate lurches open. Naomi directs the car to the front door That swings open. Horatio begins a slow walk out the front door and down the stairs. Sarah glances at Horatio out the window.

"He's so cute I really like him," Sarah announces.

Naomi can't hide her amusement and she laughs. "I'm pretty sure he can hear you." Naomi looks past Sarah at Horatio who is definitely battling back a smile.