Chapter Eleven: Lineage

Naomi steps into the blood donation room. It's about the size of a ward room with several chairs lined up against the wall and four beds.

Sarah props down on one of the chairs and a nurse steps into the room from behind a set of frosted glass doors at the end of the room that lead into what looks like a cooler room. Naomi paces in front of the chairs. Her breathing is increasing, she knows it is.

"Good morning. My name is Maria, are you two here to donate?"

Sarah nods her head. "I'm Sarah and this is my friend Naomi. I was hoping to donate today. We've just moved into town from Baneery and back home donating was a tradition almost for home."

"Well it's always good to settle into doing things that are familiar. Welcome to Aranholm I hope you both feel at home here. Will you both be downloading?"

Naomi shoots a look at Sarah. Sarah chuckles with a shake of her head.

"No just me. My friend is a little squeamish."

Maria smiles at Naomi sympathetically.

"Well why don't you lie on the bed? Naomi, you can wait outside if you'd like."

Naomi darts out the door before Sarah has even settled on the bed shutting the door behind her. Naomi leans against the door but the chatter from behind the door seems to creep its way into her ears. Naomi sets down the hallway. Naomi finds herself outside a chapel and she slips inside.

The chapel is small and quaint with four wooden pews on either side of the room. There's an altar and several paintings scattered along the walls. The small space is dimly lit with a variety of candles.

Naomi settles into a pew to the middle of the room slumping into the chair. The room is completely silent and it seems to trap out any of the noise coming from outside. Naomi shuts her eyes and tilts her head back. The Pew behind her creaks and Naomi instantly tenses.

Someone sits down behind her. A man, she guesses. A large man. A vampire. Naomi remains perfectly still choosing not to acknowledge his presence.

"My Queen. I apologize for disturbing you but when I saw you I had to come over and introduce myself."

Naomi stands up with a deep breath. She turns to face the mystery man. He is large, burly and almost threatening but his actions at Naomi's standing shocks her to the core. He steps out of the Pew and drops into a low bow.

"My name is Axel."

Axel remains bowed and Naomi is unsure of how to proceed. Naomi straightens feeling the need to appear regal and sure of herself.

"Stand, Axel. Is there something I can help you with?"

"No, my queen. Just a matter of lineage...it's my niece..."

"Axel this hardly seems appropriate a setting for this. I trust that because you already know who I am, you know where I live. I will see you there, with your king. You will hear from me about a date and time."

"I apologize if my actions offend."

"A hospital is not the place to discuss vampire business."

Axel seems taken aback and the confused look slowly turns into an intrigued one.

"How did you know I was a vampire?"

Naomi crosses her arms over her chest. "I can smell it on you. Death." With that Naomi walks past him brushing against his arm. Before she is out of the room completely Naomi is able to hear Axel say one word. Harbinger.

Naomi pushes the door of the chapel open and walks back into the hallway just as Sarah is walking out the donation room. Sarah walks briskly to where Naomi is standing. Sarah looks an arm through Naomi's and she pulls her out of the clinic and into the parking lot.

The two scurry to the car and settle in the driver and passenger seat. As they do Axel walks out into the driveway stopping just at the entrance. Sarah whistles a low note.

"Who is that specimen of a man?"

Naomi rolls her eyes. "Vampire. Axel. He cornered me in the chapel. He knew who I was."

Sarah examines him closely. "What's with his eyes? They're like a freakish black. What did he want? Did he hurt you?"

"No. Of course not. He wanted to introduce himself and speak about a 'lineage' issue. I told him I'd speak to him with Raurlin. Let's get out of here. Where to from here?"

"Just follow the GPS." 

Authors Note:
This book is a Wattpad exclusive if you're reading this anywhere else then my work was published without my authorisation.