Chapter Forty-Nine: An Option

Soraya closes her notebook with a sigh. She drops her pen and lifts her cup of tea. She glances upward and her uncle is sitting across the countertop, sipping on a glass of whiskey. Soraya sighs again, resting her elbows on the countertop and her chin in her open palms.

"The king must have said something serious for you to be drinking whiskey."

"The queen must have said something serious for you to be so quiet since we went.," Axel retorts.

Soraya rolls her eyes. "Why didn't you ask me about it?"

Axel shifts in his seat. "I didn't want to push. It was a private conversation and I didn't want to intrude. Do you want to talk about it?"

Soraya shrugs too. She blows out a breath then exhales "okay fine. Yes. I want to talk about it. I think I want to die."

Axel frowns but says nothing. He finishes his whiskey and sets the glass down on the countertop forcing himself to be gentle.

"We've never spoken about this Soraya. This comes as a surprise. Did the queen suggest it?"

Soraya shakes her head. "No. We just spoke about the species as a whole. I've always known that I wanted to. In some epic kind of way that people would speak about forever. But I think I'm old enough for it. I don't want to leave it too late and be doomed to an eternity of being old. No offence."

Axel settles a look at Soraya. "I'm not that old. I didn't know you felt this way. What brought it on?"

"I've always felt this way. I just never said anything. I always thought...my parents wouldn't be dead if they weren't human. Maybe I wouldn't be here either but still...I know that being a human in a supernatural world makes me some level of weak. Weaker. I don't want to be weak. I don't want to feel weak. I want to be a badass vampire like the queen. You know she seems so calm cool and collected but I bet she could kick some -"

"- Okay, Raya." Axel chuckles. "I hear you. Well the decision is yours and yours alone to make. I will support your decision but whatever you decide please don't do it alone. I would hate for you to come out of the other side of that alone."

Soraya holds a hand out and Axel does the same. They shake hands firmly and Soraya settles back down. She folds her arms over her chest. "Okay spill. What did the king tell you?"

"He needs my help in preparing for the feast. He said that I would hear from him and I'm feeling a little antsy because I haven't heard anything yet. I don't want to disappoint him."

Soraya smiles a soft smile at her uncle. "I see. Well I'm sure it will be soon."

As if on cue there's a knock on the door and the bell jingles. Horatio steps into the building. He walks to where Soraya and Axel are sitting.

"Please be at ease," he says, handing an envelope to Axel and another to Soraya. "His Grace would like for you to be at his home by four this afternoon Sir Axel. Miss Soraya, the envelope is a message from our queen. Enjoy the rest of your day."

Horatio walks briskly out of the front door and the door bangs slightly behind him. Soraya eyes her envelope then her uncles. Axel tears open the envelope and pulls out a sleek invitation. He reads it with a smile.

"Seems we've received the invitation, you're not going to open yours?"

Soraya shakes her head. "I'm sure it's the same as yours. I'm going to need an outfit you know. Soraya hops off her stool and walks around the counter. She kisses her uncle on the cheek. "I'm heading upstairs. Have fun with the seat up, call me if you need me."

Soraya trots quickly up the stairs and she slips into her bedroom. She drops her journal on the couch just under her window that overlooks the city. She looks outside the window long enough to see her uncle walk down the street and out of sight. She walks around her bed and settles down onto it, kicking off her shoes and moving her laptop aside. She opens the envelope carefully and inside there is an invite identical to her uncles and another folded piece of lined paper. She unfolds the paper.

'Dearest Soraya,

It was a pleasure meeting you. I hope you don't mind too much that we've pulled your uncle from the pizzeria for the afternoon. I trust all is in order with the invitation and we look forward to seeing you again on the night of the new moon.

I was hoping you would be able to assist with something. We will be needing some pizzas. You have full creative reign but something 'fancy'. Payment can be made up front. Perhaps something with feta and basil? I love a good cheese pizza.

Now, traditionally the queen would not make her personal contact information available to anyone but I've included my number down below. If you have questions about our conversation please feel free to contact me.

I would love to send you something to wear for the feast as well. If you're interested please let me know your dress size.

Looking forward to hearing from you Soraya,

Naomi xx

Soraya holds the paper to her chest with a smile. She folds the paper closed and slips it into her notebook. She sets her notebook down on her bedside table and lifts her laptop onto her lap and she turns it on.