Chapter Twenty-Two: Follow-up

Axel pushes the door of the police station open. There is a young woman at the countertop. She is chewing on a cherry flavoured bubblegum. Her dark hair is pulled far back out of her face. She has an angular face and doe-eyes. Axel taps his fingers on the countertop and the woman looks up. She straightens.

"Good morning sir, how can I help you?"

"Why don't you start by telling me your name?"

"Stella. Who are you?"

Axel can feel himself smile. He leans forward and he can feel the pulsating behind his eyes. He levels a look at Stella. "No need to be concerned about who I am, Stella. I am here to see your boss."

Stella nods and begins walking away but she comes to a sudden halt. She looks over her shoulder at Axel with a deep frown. Stella walks back to where he is standing.

"What the hell?" She demands.

Axel takes a step back, clasping his hands behind his back. "Well what do you know...you are intriguing. Darling you were just finding out if your boss is available to speak to me. Although now I'd like to speak to you."

Lexand walks out of his office and into the foyer to find Axel leaning on the counter with a smile twisting his lips. Stella is blushing furiously and she is chewing on her gum, as she does daily, but today it's deliberately slow as if she wants Axel to notice her full pink lips.

"Stella, what's going on here?"

Axel straightens. He levels his eyes on Lexand. Lexand fights back a shiver. Axel had not entered Lexand's mind at all but he constantly had this feeling that he was forgetting something. To do something. Follow up on something. And now seeing Axel in his station it all comes crashing back into his mind like a wave.

"You...Stella, give us a moment alone."

"But Lex-"

"-Now!"

Stella pops a bubble then saunters away. Axel pulls his arms back behind his back and he clasps his fingers.

"Lexand. How lovely to see you again. I trust you have some information for me."

Lexand shifts uncomfortably. "I don't want you randomly showing up here. And you leave Stella alone, she's a good girl!"

"She's beautiful and enticing. I'll bet she tastes even better. Now about that information..."

"I was just about to-"

"-Were you now?" Axel takes a step forward. "Well I do not want to constantly be coming down here for disappointment. Are you a disappointment? Then stop acting like one. Don't disappoint me again, Lexand, or I may have to come pay Stella a visit again. Be effective, Lexand. I appreciate efficiency."

Before Lexand can respond Axel is shoving past the front door. He steps into the street with sharp inhales. Axel ignores the urge to bend forward. His stomach clenches and his gums throb. It's hunger. He knows it is. It has been long. Too long. Axel forces himself forward, one leg in front of the other.

He begins walking down the road. His entire body is tense and each step is painful but Axel continues forcing himself forward. He knows that he is a few streets away from the pizzeria and there should be a blood bag in the fridge upstairs. It will have to do for now. To tide him over.

Axel turns a corner and he drops against it briefly. He heaves and coughs then continues walking down the road, quickening his pace. The pizzeria comes into view just down the road and Axel's legs begin to cramp. Axel drops against a building wall to his right as his knees give out underneath him.

He inhales and presses his palm against the cold open brick. Axel pushes himself up and continues walking down the road. Just a few feet away from him and across the road the pizzeria is light and bright in front of him. Axel gives himself a moment of composure. He straightens his back and inhales and exhales, blowing out clouds of steam just before his face.

Axel begins walking to the pedestrian crossing. He trots quickly over the road and then pushes the door of the pizzeria open. A bell jingles as he does. Axel freezes. He should have felt it when he was still down the road. He should have felt it. He should have smelt it. He should have known. He should have known better.

Soraya grins at her uncle as he stands at the door. She hops off her chair and walks around the counter. The man sitting at the counter turns in his seat and looks at Axel.

"Uncle Axe! Finally you're back! This is Jackson, he says he is a friend of yours. We've been chatting while we wait for you. He's really cool! You know how I'm always telling you about Mongolia? He's actually been to Mongolia. Why are you so quiet? Uncle Axe?"

Jackson turns in his stool completely and faces the infamous Axel. Axel is an incredibly large man. He is just as tall as Jackson if not taller. He is muscly and menacing. His eyes are obsidian black and they are gleaming. Jackson can feel his hunger. It claws at his skin. Axel has beads of sweat on his brow. He drops to a knee in a swift motion.

"My Kings Resolute, I apologise for my absence."

"Please, at ease, there is no need for such formalities right now. Soraya, why don't you get your uncle something to drink."

Jackson winks at Soraya who frowns. Her eyes widen. "Oh you mean? Oh...okay...okay." She nods and spins then trots out of sight. Jackson chuckles then stands up off his stool. He holds a hand out to Axel who accepts it.

Jackson guides Axel to a stool beside him and Axel settles down, trying to still the trembling in his fingers. Jackson turns to face him. A soft, intrigued smile on his face.

"I'm sure you knew that I would find you. Why are you so hungry?"

Axel shrugs. "Lately I have to feed from the vein. I don't know why. Since you've come to town. It's throwing me off completely. I have to feed weekly. I have heard that it is something that is spreading through-out our community. Soraya doesn't know much, King's Resolute."

Jackson nods his head. "She's a bright girl. Beautiful personality."

"It would be an honour for you to..."

Jackson holds a hand up with another chuckle. "I am off the market. Quite a nice operation you have here. How long have you been here?"

"Since Raya was a baby. She doesn't have parents. They were killed when she was just born. Witches. Don't have much tolerance for them now. Before then I was completely off the grid. Could never be bothered with the politics of it all. She's my brother's kid. She's a good girl and she deserves the protection that the hybrid king can afford."

"Protection from what?"

"Anything supernatural, she's still human."

"I know. But if you're suggesting protection then there must be something you're fearful of."

Soraya trots quickly down the stairs and the two fall silent. She places a large coffee mug in front of Axel and then another in front of Jackson.

"Where is Dale?"

"Loading the van. I feel like I've done or said something wrong. What's going on?"

"You've done nothing wrong," Jackson reassures as he lifts the mug and swallows a gulp down from the contents. "I have put you and your uncle in an interesting situation because you do not know who I am."

Soraya crosses her arms over her chest and she narrows her eyes at Jackson. Jackson can't fight back his smile.

"I am your king's right hand. The King's Resolute. And you remind me of your queen. I apologise for my false pretence earlier."