Chapter Thirty-Two: Whispers

Naomi slips an arm around Sarah's waist and she guides her to the kitchen. Horatio follows shakily behind them. His breathing is raspy and shallow. Naomi motions for a countertop and Sarah leans against it. There are silent tears falling down her cheeks.

"Are you okay?" Naomi asks her and she nods then shakes her head. She covers her face with her hands.

"I've never felt fear like that before."

Naomi glances over her shoulder at Sarah with an encouraging look as she fills the kettle. "Horatio a teapot and cups please. Do we have chamomile?"

Horatio nods and slowly gathers the tea set and tea bags. Naomi turns the kettle on and the water begins to boil noisily. The sound is almost too overwhelming for her ears.

"I love him," Sarah admits in a soft whisper, "I can't live without him I-" she fights back a sob and inhales deeply. As she does, Jackson strides into the kitchen. He gathers Sarah in her arms.

"My sweet Sarah. You saved my life, you both did. Thank you. We're going to find who did this and we're going to make them-"

"Jax," Naomi cautions with a look at Sarah. Sarah's trembling. Jackson covers her with his arms again.

"I'm sorry. I just feel a little jittery. Here let me make the tea. Horatio, are you okay old man? You're looking quite pale. Do you want to go on a hunt? It's been so long since I've been on a hunt you know the last time Raur and I-"

"Sir Jackson, if I may, Miss Sarah needs you. Perhaps we can take our tea upstairs in our bedrooms? Miss Sarah,be at ease. I understand you're shaken. Have a rest. Please excuse me, I need to lie down."

Jackson nods as he lifts the tray with the now filled teapot and cups. He looks at Sarah and asks gently "can you walk?" Sarah nods her head. He looks at Naomi who nods her encouragement.

Jackson walks behind Sarah carefulling balancing the tray in an open palm and holding Sarah's hand with his free hand. Once they are out of sight Naomi drops forward slightly, dropping her head down.

She inhales and exhales deeply as a wave of fear runs icy cold through her. The silence around her is overwhelming. She covers her ears and as she does there's a low whispering.

Murmurs and mutters that are mere words, bit coherent sentences. It's a low soft sound but loud enough for Naomi to make out the words.

"Harbinger, death, crow, blood,burn,fox, curse, ash, queen, more-more-more-more..."

The whispering continues hushed and hurried until Naomi straightens and the sound becomes completely silent. The movement within the house rush into her ears all at one go.

Sarah crying upstairs, in Jackson's arms. Horatio stirring his cup of tea. The way the metal spoon scrapes along the inner of the glass cup. Stellan and Delilah speaking in hushed tones as water fills a bath noisily. Raurlin lying in their bed breathing shallow and weak. "Naomi," Raurlin breathes.

Naomi trots out the kitchen and jugs quickly up the stairs. She slips into their bedroom and Raurlin is lying in their bed propped up on some pillows. The colour is slowly returning to his face. He smiles at her with tired eyes.

Naomi sits down gently on the side of the bed and she takes his hand into her own. "How are you feeling?"

"Coming right. Do we know who did it?"

"Not yet. Jackson is with Sarah, making sure she's okay. He's juiced on the hybrid blood."

Raurlin chuckles. "It should pass right through him. Are you okay? I owe everyone an apology. I froze. I should..."

"Raur, please. He's your best friend, it's only natural for you to have frozen. We weren't expecting that at all. None of us. But now we know we need better security." Naomi chuckles. "Us needing extra security. Imagine that. Stellan Jax and I are going to secure the perimeter. Stellan has contacted Mikain to let him know that we need hands. Everything is under control. For now you need to rest."

Raurlin nods slowly and his eyes roll closed. Naomi sits watching him for a moment before stepping off the bed and walking out the room. She makes her way downstairs. Stellan is moping the puddle of blood off the floor.

The room reeks of chemicals and Naomi covers her nose then sneezes. Stellan chuckles with a glance at her.

"How's our king?"

"Fine. He's resting. He'll be good to go in an hour and he's going to want answers."

Stellan pauses hesitantly then forces his body to continue the moping. "He won't like the answer. I surely do not. Jackson is quite literally running around the house. Is that how you feel all the time? Antsy?"

Naomi smiles. "A little. Not as much as Raur I'm sure but he's got good control of his wolf side. Can I ask you something?"

Stellan drops the strings of the mop into a bucket and he nods his head. He turns to face Naomi, his rolled sleeves folded across his chest.

"Can I be a harbinger and a hybrid? I mean a vampire on one side as a harbinger and then a wolf on the other?"

Stellan muses over the question. "We're made of the same magick, the vampires and wolves. Different sides of it but the same magick. When Raurlin is back we can sit down and have a conversation about this."

"I'd like that. Heard back from Mikain?"

"No, not yet but I'm sure we will soon. Listen, I know this is hardly the right time..."

Naomi folds her arms with a sigh. "It's about Delilah?"

Stellan nods grimly. "She's going through withdrawals."

Naomi shrugs, "she'll get through it. She's been through it before. She used to like listening to classical music. She said it helped. We used to have this old record player. I'm going to find Jax. Are you okay here?"

Stellan nods. "Yes, fine. Your Grace." Stellan bows slightly then lifts the mop again."

Naomi walks from the lounge and briskly out the front door. Snow is falling heavily and there is a harsh cold breeze. Naomi grips her coat tightly and she makes it down the stairs.