Chapter Fifty Three: Fruits of the Moon

Naomi looks over the spread that is on the dining room table. There are several fruit and cheese boards complete with variations of crackers, pita breads and pizzas filling the gaps between the boards. There are wine glasses and champagne shoots on silver trays. There are candles scattered expertly along the table. The chairs have been moved to one side.

Raurlin rests against the frames. “Everything is perfect Naomi. You’ve done an incredible job. Why don’t you go get ready and I will see to it that the rest of the decor is sorted out? We’re all set up in the lounge and outside too. Sarah is getting ready. Stellan is seeing to the boys and Delilah is seeing to the girls. Horatio is making sure that everything is in order. We’re going to be okay for tonight. Go on, beautiful. I’ll call you if I need you.”

Raurlin pulls Naomi into a hug. He kisses her cheek. Naomi rolls her eyes at the kiss. “I just want everything to be perfect, Raur. This is my first feast.”

“It won’t be your last. You’re going to look beautiful I’m sure.” 

Naomi steps back, nodding her agreement. “Okay, fine…let me head upstairs, please send one of the girls up. Soraya and Axel should be arriving soon with the rest of the drinks. Are Jax and Sarah getting ready?”

“-Naomi, upstairs, please my queen.” Raurlin gently guides her to the stairs. Naomi chuckles, dropping her hands in defeat. She trots quickly up the stairs. Raurlin chuckles again as he turns around. Jackson steps from the lounge into the foyer.

“She’s really freaking out it seems,” Jackson mutters softly. Raurlin nods his agreement. “A perfect queen. She’s planned everything out perfectly. Tonight will be exactly what we need it to be. Go on, get dressed, let me deal with the final stages of preparation. Find Sarah would you? I’ve hardly seen her today.”

Jackson bows lowly. “At once Your Grace.” Jackson disappears upstairs in a single breath. Horatio's voice echoes from the kitchen. He, Angel and Brie walk into the foyer.

"...and by The Gods do not address anyone directly unless spoken too directly!"

"Horatio," Raurlin calls out, "her Grace is needing the girls now. One with Her Grace and one with the queen's regent. Her ladyship will need assistance, I'm sure."

Horatio waves a hand and Angel and Brie rush upstairs, eager to not only escape his instructions but also to become immersed in the activities of the evening.

"I believe Miss Soraya and Sir Axel are here," Raurlin says with a nod to the front door.

"Please excuse me, Your Grace."

Raurlin steps into the lounge. A warm fire brightens the fireplace and the doors leading to the garden are open. It is snowing ever so slightly. Delicate little flakes teasing the ground.

There is bustle from inside and Raurlin turns his head to the noise before forcing his head forward again. A knock rattles the door frame slightly.

"Your Grace," Axel walks to where Raurlin is standing. "Are you well?"

Raurlin nods, patting Axel's shoulder. "Yes thank you, Axel. Are you ready for this evening?"

Axel nods slowly. "As ready as I can be…I could use a drink. With your approval, Your Grace?"

"Feel free Sir Axel. I will just be admiring the view this evening."

Naomi examines herself in the bedroom mirror that Horatio wheeled in earlier. A full length mirror that he assured her was absolutely necessary.

She runs a hand over the black lace lingerie covering her torso. There is a strap to the lingerie clasped around her thigh that would allow her to perhaps conceal a weapon.

Naomi rubs a finger carefully over the blade that was used to harm Jackson. The door creaks open and Naomi glances over her shoulder.

She frowns deeply. "You have got to be kidding me."

"Hello again harbinger."

"Not tonight fox. I can deal with you in my dreams but a vision I cannot fathom not right now."

The fox stretches in front of the mirror. "Come on harbinger, humour me. Look at yourself. That full figure, those soft yet serious eyes, the way your thighs-"

"- enough, fox. What do you want?"

"You know why I'm here, harbinger. Hide your weapon. Tuck it in tight. There will be death in your home tonight."

Naomi narrows her eyes at the fox. "I'm growing tired of you."

The fox bares its teeth. "Heed my warning, harbinger. The witch is smarter than you think."

Naomi slips the dagger into the strap. She unhooks her dress from its hanger and steps into it. She smoothes the material examining it closely, chewing her lip.

"That will be all fox. See your way out."

A knock at the door causes Naomi to jump. She looks over her shoulder. Raurlin strides into the room with a low whistle. His eyes dragging up Naomi's body.

"You okay in here?"

Naomi nods. "Yes of course. Why do you ask?"

"Heard you talking. Bumped into Axel on the stairs. You're alone in here? I sent the girls up quite a while ago, here let me zip you up."

Naomi gathers her hair over one shoulder and Raurlin slowly pulls the zip upward. He traces a finger along Naomi's back and Naomi shivers.

"Raur please…you still need to shower."

Raurlin pressed a kiss on her neck. "Join me then," he teases with a wink.

Naomi shrugs him away with a giggle. "No, come on. The guests will be arriving any minute and I'm nowhere near ready. I'll kick you out Raur! I'm serious!"

Raurlin laughs and he makes his way into the bathroom. Once the shower is on Naomi slips out of the bedroom and into Sarah's. Sarah is sitting at her vanity while Angel runs a brush through her hair.

"Naomi, come in! I'm so excited about tonight! Our first feast…imagine…Brie come on you can start with the queens make up."

Naomi settles into Sarah's bed. "Are you concerned about tonight at all?"

Sarah frowns slightly. "Of course not. We've totally got this. Did something happen?"

Naomi eyes Brie as she sifts through the make up. She looks from her to Sarah.

"No…nothing happened. I'm sure Soraya will be here soon. Did I tell you that I sent her a dress? It's gorgeous and I'm sure it's going to look beautiful on her."