Chapter Fourty-Four: Breaking The Code

Ethan's Pov

It was the next day and the girls and I were at school near Spencer's locker.

I told Spencer about the money that Jason found and she went to talk to him about giving her $2,000. At first he didn't want to give it to her, but when he found out it was about Ali and getting some answers, he agreed.

"We're giving him all of it? $2,000 is a lot of money" Emily said.

"Emily, if he can finally tell me who A is, I would hand over a million" Spencer said.

"Yeah and not ask for change" Aria nodded.

"How'd you get the money so fast?" Emily asked.

"What? Um...we have a relative" Spencer said and I nodded.

"Which one?" Emily asked.

"I promise that I wouldn't say. We both did" I said and Spencer nodded.

Emily sighed before turning to me.

"What time did Jonah say to meet him?" Emily asked.

"Six, but, um, look, not all of us are gonna go. It's just me and Spencer, so we'll meet up with you afterwards" I said.

"Why just you two?" Hanna asked, confused.

"Because I'm the face that he knows, and she's the bank" I said.

"If we crowd him, he's gonna think something's up" Spencer said.

"Something is up. We're finally gonna find out who's been torturing us since Ali's funeral, and, hello, I kind of wanna be there for that" Emily said.

"Volume" Spencer whispered yelled at her.

Emily sighed as Mona walked towards us and I smiled at her.

"Hey, ladies, Ethan" Mona smiled.

"Hey, Mona" I smiled at her.

Awkward silence filled around us for a few seconds before Mona cleared her throat.

"Ok. Um, Hanna, can I borrow you for a sec?" Mona asked.

Hanna smiled and nodded and they both walked away.

I smiled at both of them before wrapping my arm around my sister's shoulders and guided her away, the others following behind us.

At Home

After school was over me and Spencer went home so that we could tell Melissa everything.

We were in Spencer's room and once we told Melissa it's fair to say that she was shocked, angry and betrayed.

"Why would mom go along with this?" Melissa asked.

"It wasn't easy for her. She's angry too. She feels betrayed" Spencer said, defending mom.

I nodded but Melissa scoffed and shook her head.

"Don't protect her, she lied to us" Melissa angrily said.

Me and Spencer sighed before sitting down across from her.

I set my hands on my lap and took a few deep breaths.

"Mom's had to watch Jason every day since he was a little kid. I'm sure somewhere in her heart, she knew" I softly said.

"We should have known too. It's like we don't even know who mom and dad are anymore" Melissa said.

"Yeah, tell me about it. We have to rethink everything they've ever told us" Spencer sighed.

Melissa sighed at that and shook her head.