Chapter Eighty: The Guilty Girl's Handbook

Ethan's Pov

Well, I think it's fair to say that things have gotten worse.

Why do I say this?

Because last night a car ran into Emily's house, right in her living room, and because of that Emily and her mother had to move into a motel.

They're fine, physically at least.

But mentally, I doubt that.

Hanna was on her phone after Emily texted her to tell her how her and her mom are.

"How are they?" Aria asked.

Hanna sighed as she set her phone down, "she said they're fine".

"A really likes throwing cars at people" Spencer sighed.

"Don't I know it" I muttered bitterly.

"Is there any chance this really was an accident?" Aria weakly asked.

This made Spencer and I shot her deadpan looks causing her to sigh as she took a sip of her coffee.

"Yeah, that's what I thought" Aria muttered.

"No, ok, A did this but why?" Hanna asked in confusion.

"To keep us off balance, keep us from finding red coat, or Cece Drake, or whoever we're dealing with" Spencer explained.

"Well, I think it really was Cece, and I hope that Toby and Caleb find her" Aria huffed.

I hope so too.

"God, Spence, Ethan, what is taking your mom so long?" Hanna asked, clearly impatient.

"Courts run on judge time, not lawyer time" Spencer told her to which I nodded.

"Well, it's an arraignment. All they have to do is set bail and she can go" Hanna said in frustration.

I sighed before placing my hand on her shoulder and began rubbing it reassuringly, trying to calm her down.

"Buttercup, she said that she would call you the minute that your mom was released. Alright" I softly said.

"Yeah, just take a breath" Aria softly said.

Hanna sighed before nodding her head as she breathed in and out a few times.

All of a sudden we heard footsteps causing all of us to perk up and turn around.

Mom walked into the kitchen and smiled at us.

And we would've smiled back at her if Ms. Marin had came in with her, but she didn't. Mom was alone. 

Why was she alone? Where's Ms. Marin?

"Mom?" Spencer and I asked in unison.

"Hi. Have you kids had breakfast?" Mom asked.

We looked at her in confusion, especially when it's clear she's trying not to talk about what happened in court, and Hanna spoke up.

"Mrs. Hastings, where's my mom?" Hanna asked.

Mom looked at her before turning to Spencer and I.

"Spencer, Ethan, why don't you take Aria upstairs for a minute?" Mom suggested.

I opened my mouth to say something when Hanna stepped in, holding her arms out.

"No. No, I want them here" Hanna sternly said.

Mom, realizing that Hanna wouldn't let us leave or let this topic go, sighed and nodded her head.

"Hanna, we entered a plea of not guilty, but the judge refused to grant bail" Mom told her.