Chapter Fifty-Eight: What Lies Beneath

Ethan's Pov

The girls and I were at Hanna's house. Apparently she found a letter in her flower plant and that letter was from Maya. 

How did it get there? We have no idea, but my guess is that Maya put it there.

Hanna was sitting on her bed while holding the letter. Aria sat on a chair while Spencer, Emily and I sat on the bed Emily slept on.

"Emily, I'm so sorry for everything. I know we've had a disconnect lately. I hope you'll give me a chance to explain. I have to show you something. Don't call my cell. Someone stole it. Meet me at..." Hanna trailed off.

"Meet me? Where?" Aria asked.

"I don't know. I can't tell. It looks like it's been washed out by the rain" Hanna said.

"Are you sure that this is from Maya?" Spencer asked.

"Positive" Emily nodded.

Emily knew Maya better than us so of course she can tell this letter is from her.

"I wonder what she wanted to show you" Spencer said.

"I mean, the police have said all along that she probably found something that proved Garrett killed Ali" Aria said.

"Which is why she was killed" Hanna nodded.

I frowned when I saw the sad look on Emily's face, she's still not completely over Maya's death, which is understandable.

"You guys, we need to slow down, because we have no idea when Maya wrote that note, and it could have been any time after Emily moved in here with you" I sternly said.

Spencer nodded in agreement as Aria took the note from Hanna.

"It looks like there's a date on the top right corner. Look" Aria said.

She handed us the note and I took it from her as the three of us carefully examined the note.

"Oh my god" Emily gasped.

"What?" I asked, worried.

"Maya wrote this the day she died" Emily said in realization.

My eyes widened and my jaw dropped. I looked at the girls and saw that they were all in the same boat as me.

The Next Day

Spencer and I walked outside of the school building and spotted Emily sitting at a table by herself.

We both sighed when we saw her rereading Maya's note.

It's clear that she's trying to figure out where Maya wanted her to meet her.

Spencer and I looked at each other and nodded before making our way towards her.

"How many times have you reread that?" I asked.

"Too many" Emily sighed.

"Didn't you and Maya have a spot that you liked to hang out at by the lake?" Spencer asked.

"Yeah. I was just there with Nate the other day" Emily nodded.

"Maybe that's where she wanted you to meet her. We could go together. We could help you take a look around" I suggested.

"I don't even know what I'm supposed to be looking for" Emily said, frustrated.

I frowned and gently rubbed her shoulder for some comfort.

"Have you heard from Toby?" Emily asked.

"He called last night. He's waiting on a permit for the loft, so he took a job in bucks county. Honestly, I'm relieved he's not here, I'm not lying to him" Spencer explained.