pity

"Vi!" A booming masculine voice yells out to me, I instinctively flinch backwards in my seat preparing for the blow which never comes. My head collides with the cushioned seat behind me as I sigh deeply. I look up to see Lucien's big green eyes staring down at me, his eyes filled with concern as he pulls his hand away from my shoulder.

"We landed" He exclaimed with a slight smile. I simply smile weakly back as I softly nod before I pull myself to my feet.

I stretch my arms behind my head and a sudden sharp stabbing pain shoots across my ribs, I yelp while my arms fly to protect my aching ribs.

"What's wrong Bambina?" My father asks worry filling his deep voice. We begin exiting the plane my arms still wrapped around my ribs.

"Nothing," I murmured softly just above a whisper.

I wasn't going to let them see me in pain, I wasn't going to let them see how damaged and broken I am. They won't want me if they know the truth, they won't want me if they know how weak I am. They will be disgusted by me. The inner monologue continues in my head as all else around me goes silent.
I don't need anybody and I especially don't need their pity.

We sat into another fancy looking car, with the same light brown leather material as the car before. Except I noticed as i came out of the jet, there were about five cars parked next to us all with men in suits sat inside. As we began driving away from the airport runway, the cars begin trailing us. Some following behind us as others speed up in front of us. I'm not stupid I knew my father must be an important man, it was clear by the way people would subtly bow in front of him, lowering their gaze as they looked at him. But now as I finally get a closer look at him I notice an outline of a gun attached to his outer thigh. I furrowed my eyebrows softly before turning to look out the car window, watching as the sun begins to set on the horizon.

The few things I knew about my father all pointed me in a direction I didn't want to assume; a dangerous direction. His obvious significant wealth, surplus of security and the fact he is packing heat made it undeniable that something was amiss and I am determined to get to the bottom of it.

"So what do you do for work?" I stiffly asked, my fathers blue eyes stared back at me with no sign he was going to avert his gaze.

"We own multiple clubs, casinos, hotels and business buildings." He answered in what I could tell was his business sounding voice, not an ounce of emotion escaping his deep voice.

"And is that why you are packing heat?" I asked with a sarcastic tone, a smirk tugging at my lips.  His blue eyes shifted from looking at me clearly surprised by my bluntness.

"Generations of wealth and a high status creates a lot of enemies" He continues his gaze shifting to look back at me as an expression of what I assume to be is impressed. I nod softly clearly unconvinced as I look over to Lucien, his eyes awkwardly shifting around the car as if avoiding my gaze.

The car ride was silent for a while. Nothing but the soft hum of the car filling the air. I kept my eyes glued looking out the window as I watch the sun continue setting through the dark tint of the windows.

"What do you like to do?" Lucien eagerly asked. I could tell he was somebody who was bubbly and chatty but I guess my silence made it harder for him to strike up a conversation, but clearly not impossible.
I turned around from the window and thought for a moment pursing my lip as I thought of what to say, what to say which sounded the least depressing.

"Well I like to work and I really enjoy reading too" I admitted, my life was not particularly interesting. I didn't have many friends nor did I spend my time doing anything fun. My life consisted of school, work and then being beat to the brink of death before passing out. And the latter didn't sound like a great conversation topic.