sunny days & cloudy nights

"Go get changed. We'll grab some food at the beach." Lucien said as he began walking away. I excitedly ran to get ready, eager to finally leave the house.

I looked in the mirror admiring the dark blue wet suit. It was long sleeved and was down to my ankles which I was grateful for. It had a small violet flower embodied into the material near my collarbone. I smiled softly.                                                                                                                                                  It had been a while since I had been in water. I never doing mandatory swimming lessons in physical education when I was in primary school but that was a long time ago. I wondered If I still remembered. 

I walked out of room and down the stairs and noticed Lucien standing by the front door with two surfboards beside him and sunglasses on his head.

"Do you 100% feel up for today? we don't have to go if-" Lucien began.

"Lucien I feel great. Really." I reassured as Lucien smiled gently. 

"Thank you for the wet suit." I said to Lucien as we brought the surfboards out to his car in the garage. He had a white jeep covered that was basically covered in mud from the wheels up, sand dried to the grooves of the tyres. It was exactly the type of car I expected Lucien to drive. Nothing flashing, nothing glooming it was so perfectly him. 

He smiled softly as he opened my door for me. "It will be nice to be able to surf with somebody." Lucien states as he gets in behind the wheel. 

"None of our brothers surf with you?" I asked softly as Lucien started up the engine. 

"No. Not really." He replies. "Leo does but not as much because he has school but not any of the rest of them. I guess it's not really their thing." Lucien continues. 

The sun beams down softly on the top of my head as we drive. The sun roof above our heads allowing a warm breeze to flow through the car. The smell of sand and the ocean filling my nose. Lucien blasts classic 80s music the entire car ride with his horrid singing voice filling my ears. Occasionally he would catch me singing along with him and the smile across his lips would grow. 

"How did you get into surfing?" I asked as Lucien and I began grabbing the surfboards from the back of the car.   

"It was Dad mostly who got me into it. Dad when he was younger he was a great surfer and mum loved the ocean. So we spent a lot of time at the beach growing up." Lucien reminisced. "Dad would always joke that the only reason somebody as beautiful Mum ever went out with him was because she was so impressed by his surfing." Lucien smiled softly as a smile tugged at my lip. 

"Does Dad come surfing with you?" I asked as we began walking over to the beach. 

"Dad never surfed again after Mum died and I don't think he ever will. I think it brings up too many memories of her. But for me surfing it makes me feel closer to her for some reason." Lucien replies. 

My eyes danced along the waters horizon. Fascinated by the crystal clearness of the ocean water. The waves in the water cascades down the horizon, somehow at once the waves were both chaotic but calm. The beach was empty. I wondered how something as beautiful as this wasn't admired by everyone. 

"You know I have never been to the beach before." I stated as we placed down the surfboards. 

"You have but it when you were just a baby. I remember you in the shallow part of the water with Mum as Dad and I would surf. You loved the ocean, mum would call you and I her ocean kids." Lucien said. "I would always tell Dad that when you were bigger I'd teach you to surf." Lucien voice grew soft.