alleyway

Violets POV

I woke up with my head laid against Lucien's shoulder as his snores echoed around the lounge room. Leo head laid against the pillows on the sofa with his legs laying across mine. His chest raised and fell as he gently moved around in his sleep. We must have fallen asleep setting up my phone which was now face down on Leo's chest.

I carefully grabbed my phone from his chest in one swift motion, making sure to not disturb him.

3am. My phone brightly illuminated my face. I carefully sat up, pushing Leo's heavy legs off me before standing to my feet. A sudden wave of sharp pain radiated across my ribs and shoulder. I steadied myself as the pain began to dull. I threw the blanket over Leo as Lucien began snoring louder, I grabbed a second blanket and threw that over Lucien. I smiled softly at the sight of my sleeping brothers. Although I had only slept for a short time It felt better than any sleep I had ever gotten. For once I could sleep knowing I was truly safe, knowing I was with my brothers. 

The house was completely silent as I quietly creeped up the stairs, finally making it to my room. Not a single light was on in the house forcing me to use my phone as a flashlight as. I guided myself through the maze that is these endless hallways. I gently closed my bedroom door behind me before switching on the lamp which was positioned on the end of my beside table. I kneeled down next to my duffle bag and began digging around trying to find my painkillers and cigarettes. I dry swallowed a single painkiller before grabbing my lighter and cigarettes and walking to the window. I know the doctor said I shouldn't take painkillers that aren't prescribed to me, that it was dangerous but I really needed some relief from the pain and i didn't want to wake anybody, I didn't want to further burden anyone.

I ran my hand along the pocket of my pants feeling comforted by the presence of my knife.

The inky night star laid still yet the freckled stars twinkled in the darkness, the brightest star hung just over my head. I sucked in a deep breath with the cigarette pressed to my lips. The bitter taste filled the back of my throat as I breathed in deeply. I ran my fingers through my hair which had now began to return to its natural wavy state.

I stared off into the limitless night sky as I allowed my mind to shut off to the world around me. When I lived with Emily and Robert there were very few moments I could let myself breathe, only the moments I'd escape to the roof so the stars could watch over me. Only in those moments did I feel safe. No matter what happened in the day, the stars would still shine at night.

"Violet?" I hear a soft distant voice calls. I don't respond as the voice feels as if it blows away in the wind. I pull the cigarette to my lips again taking in a deep breath trying to immerse myself back into the solitude of my thoughts.

"Violet?" I hear the voice call again this time sounding closer.

"Shit! " I exclaimed as I dropped the cigarette from my hand. "Nico?" I ask lifting the light of my phone in front of me. Nico stood with his arms lifted trying to balance himself as he walked slowly from the other-side of the roof.

"Yeah it's me." he responds sitting down next to me, pulling out a box of cigarettes from his sweatpants pocket.

"Having a late night smoke huh?" He suggested looking down at my fallen cigarette, which was now on the edge of the roof.

I lower my phone, placing it back in my pocket, the soft illumination of the moonlight is enough that I can just see Nicos face.

"Are you going to tell on me?" I whisper, narrowing my eyes as I study his face.

"That would be pretty hypocritical of me." he comments as he brings a lit cigarette to his lips. His face is lit up ever so slightly by the glow of his cigarette, illuminating the darkness residing under his eyes and the bruises across his face.