beautiful lies

Violets POV

As I slowly snuck down the staircase, my light footsteps caused a quiet pitter patter along the wooden stairs. With every step my heart fluttered more as my mind was filled with thoughts of Malik.His stupid smirk made my heart beat faster, the freckles that laid across his cheekbones made my heart warm. I closed the front door carefully behind me as I saw him now standing near his car. His face lit up as his eyes followed me from the doorway. Even in the moonlight his smirk was visible, the dimples that etched across his cheeks made my face heat up.

"You dickhead!" I yelled as I approached him pushing against his shoulders although barely affecting him. He didn't look surprised, instead his eyes were filled with sorrow. His under eyes were etched with darkness as he looked to the ground, his smile faded.

"I'm sorry" he whispered as his eyes danced to my face. He looked hollow as if he was a shell of himself. He smiled weakly as my eyes searched his tired face, but I couldn't help but smile back. His gaze fell to my lips as my face began to heat up. And despite all the anger I felt in that moment, ; i kissed him. I kissed him like I needed him so I could breathe, and as mixed as my emotions were, I did need him. Our lips intertwined as he gently pulled my waist closer to him.

I pulled away from the kiss looking longingly into his dark brown eyes and the anger, the sadness I felt moments ago began to melt away.

"Why did you leave?" I whispered as my teary eyes searched his face. He sighed deeply as he slowly reached out for my hand, I didn't flinch. Instead I held his cold hand tightly not wanting to ever let go.

"Violet... I'll explain it all to you. I'll explain everything" he whispered as his hand began to trace up my arm, his touch reaching the uncovered cuts along my arm causing me to wince away. Even the gentle touch of his fingertips across the cuts caused excruciating pain. His eyes filled with sadness as his eyebrows furrowed.

"Can I see?" He asked as his fingertips traced my jacket sleeve. My gaze pulled away from his face as I heard a rustling coming from the darkness. I couldn't see anything but it was enough to make my heart race.

Malik held my hand pulling me protectively behind him as his other hand reached for his gun. He turned around to look at the source of the noise. He sighed deeply realising nothing was there as he turned back around to face me.

"We can go to mine and talk, I'll explain everything Lettie. Please" Malik pleaded as he squeezed my hand softly.

"Okay" I whispered. "Okay" I repeated as my voice began to become clearer.

Malik opened the car door as I carefully stepped in, the late night breeze sent shivers up my shine. We sat in silence as Malik drove, the dark streets were empty and even the soft glow of the street lamps were not enough to rid the endless darkness. My phone buzzed in my pocket softly, I pulled my phone from my pocket as the light illuminated across my face.

"Precious little Violet, you don't know the lies of which the ones closest to you are filling your head with. Are you worth more than family?" my heart skipped a beat as my breath hitched. I didn't recognise the number but somehow they knew my name and I'm sure that wasn't all they knew. I needed to keep this to myself, I needed to work out who this is but I couldn't risk it; I didn't know who to trust. I took deep breaths trying to control my shaky breathing.

"Are you okay?" Malik asked as his gaze flickered from the road to my face. "Who texted you?" he asked.

"Just Nico" I replied confidently as Malik's eyes flickered back onto the dark road.

"Why did you never let me help you?" Malik asked as his eyes remained glued on the road.

I furrowed my eyebrows as I began twisting the ring around on my slender finger as I slipped my phone back in my pocket.