all too well

TW;

MENTION OF SELF HARM

MENTION OF SUICIDE 

I leaned against the wall, my shoulder searing with sudden pain as I pressed against the wall. I didn't care about the pain in my shoulder when what I was listening to hurt me even more.

My father sighed loudly as I felt my heart thud in my chest. I bit down on my lip trying to not let the tears threatening to fall escape.

"Nico she belongs here. She is family, our family." My fathers voice itches with anger but his voice remains level. My face softens slightly knowing through it all my father defends me.

"You know this is no place for her..." Nico utters.My fathers silence is deafening.

"Send her away, send her away before it's too late." Nico exclaims.

I cover my hand to my mouth to muffle my sobs as I listen to the remaining hope I had of a real family being crushed right in front of me. I silently creep back up the stairs as I feel my heart grow heavier with each and every step. I didn't want to hear anymore, I couldn't hear anymore.

I darted through the lounge room avoiding the observant eyes of my brothers as I took off running up the stairs to my room. The echoes of my foot steps bouncing off the empty walls. 

"Violet?" I hear Tobias yell followed by footsteps up the stairs. I slam my door before they reached the top of the stairs. I quickly lock the door. My chest feeling heavier as I slump to the floor. My back pressed against the back of my bedroom door. 

Nico's POV

"Send her away, send her away before it's too late." I warned as my fathers eyes darkened. My lip quivering as I tried to not let the tears fall down my face.

"I can't lose her again, I failed her and I can't do that again, I can't." I whispered as I rubbed my thumb along the fresh bruise across my cheek.

"Nico," my fathers eyes softened "You aren't protecting her by pushing her away. You are just hurting her. '' he shrewd as his expression remained soft. His dark blue eyes appearing as if they were lighter, as if they were no longer clouded. 

I felt my heart drop as I let the guilt consume me again.  All I have ever wanted to do was protect her. Protect her from all things I wasn't protected from. She is safer away from this world, safer away from this dangerous world. This is the same world that killed our mum. The same world that took her when she was two. The same world which broke me when I was only six.

"If you aren't going to talk about that fight you got into, at least let Victor look at that bruise." my father orders. His eyes becoming cloudy again. 

"Padre!" Tobias yells from down the hallway his voice sounding panicked causing my father and I to instantly get to our feet and walk to him in the hallway.

"It's Violet... she's locked herself in her bedroom."

Violets POV (third person)

The four walls of Violets room became her haven. She remained locked in her bedroom since she had heard what Nico had said. The heaviness in her heart made it hard to move, it made it hard to breathe when she knew that regardless of blood, She'll always be an outsider in her own family. Violets brothers and Father tried relentlessly to talk to her, they pleaded with her but no matter what they said it was met with silence. By Saturday morning they considered breaking down her door but they knew she was leaning against the door. Violet knew they couldn't break the door with her against it.