missing piece

Maliks POV

It's been three months since I last saw her but to me it feels like a lifetime. I miss her more than life, more than I thought was humanly possible. There was no sign of her, nothing; it was like she disappeared into thin air but I suppose that is what she wanted. I sighed deeply as I continued driving, my knuckles turning white as my grip on the wheel grew tighter; a futile attempt to hold onto something that is already slipping through my fingers. The dark night sky was empty, an endless void of abyss, it was as if she took the stars with her when she left. I pulled into the driveway, turning off my engine as I sat in the pitch black. I leaned my head on the steering wheel as I shut my eyes. Oh what I would give to see her smile again, to hold her against my chest, i don't think i'd ever let go. I pulled my wallet from my jean pocket, smiling softly as I held the picture of us close to my chest, it was all I had left of her. It felt as if I was holding onto a fleeting dream, she is my greatest dream.

Violet giggles echoed in my mind as we climbed higher among the thick branches of the oak tree. The afternoon sunlight beamed down on us as we reached the top of the tree, the canopy of leaves beginning to thin allowing us to look across the field from the top of the tree.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" she asked as her eyes danced along the endless skyline.

"It is," I replied, my gaze not moving from her. Watching as her light brown hair flowed in the wind, the sun highlighting the golden tones within her hair.

We leaned against the tree branches as the sun began to set, hours passing by but that did not phase us.

"Do you ever feel alone?" Violet asked, her gaze falling onto me, searching my face for a response.

"Alone?" I questioned as my eyes danced around her face, she smiled weakly and nodded. The weight of her words felt heavy on my shoulders as I watched the glimmer from her eyes begin to fade.

"Alone like it's just you against everything" Violet whispered her voice growing quiet.

"No i don't" I replied, her gaze turning back onto the skyline. "Do you feel alone?" i asked

"Everyday" she replied "i know you are here, but i go home and I'm alone, I'm completely by myself against them. I don't have any siblings, it's just me and it will always be just me" she whispered her voice beginning to break.

"Violet you aren't alone" I whispered softly as she looked out into the skyline in silence, I knew my words couldn't mend the cracks in her heart but I'd always try until my last breath. 

I watched as a raven flew over my shoulder narrowly avoiding the branches. It landed on a branch right by Violet's side.

"Woah" Violet muttered as she turned to look at the raven. Its ebony feathers shimmered in the light, it didn't fly away as Violet reached her hand out slowly. Rather it nuzzled its face against the palm of her hand as if it was familiar with Violet. Not once did the gaze of the raven move, it remained on Violet.

I let out a shaky breath as the memories of that day faded away in my mind. I yearn for those days, those days of peace; before everything got so complicated. I wonder if she too remembered, if the many memories we shared haunted her mind as it did mine. I placed the picture of us back into my wallet as I ran my fingers through my hair, how I wish they were running through hers instead.

"Roman has been radio-silent since the attack on The Sword, perhaps he went into hiding" Victor suggested as Angelo brought his whiskey glass to his lips. No longer did Angelo have the glimmer in his eyes, they were dull and lifeless. The first month she was gone Angelo sent his men all over Italy and England, they searched every corner, he led the search and when they found no lead well that's when things got violent. Angelo orchestrated the attack in Russia, the attack on The Sword, he tortured many captives all of which were Romans men and ultimately he found nothing, no lead and no sign of her.

"No,Roman doesn't hide. His ego wouldn't allow that. " I replied as all the eyes fell on me, I looked over to Tobias who nodded softly, he knew Roman wouldn't hide either.

"Whatever he did to get Violet away, it was for a purpose. He knew where she was going to go." I stated as Angelos' gaze fell onto me.

"Why not just take her? Why would he make her run away? Why go through that effort?" Victor asked.

"To get to me.. To get to all of us. Make us weak and vulnerable. He wanted us to think she left on her own accords so he could break us. Whatever he is planning now, it's a part of his plan to marry her" I declared, my blood beginning to boil at the mere thought of him getting to her.

"Why does Roman want to get to you so badly? I know you ruined some shipments for him but that can't be it" Victor asked.

"I don't think he is only after me" I stated as my gaze fell over to Angelo.

"Well who else would he be after?" Victor questioned. Angelo looked at me with cautious eyes, as if silently threatening me into not saying anything more.

"He is after Leo, he hates me but above all else he thinks Leo is responsible for his sister's death. He wants Leo dead" I reply. My eyes darted over to Victor, his eyebrows furrowed harshly.

Angelo slammed his glass on the wooden desk making a loud thud.

"Then we search Russian now, look for her in every corner and kill whoever gets in my way. We can't let this carry on because something will happen" He declared as his expression turned dark. My eyes fell onto a framed photo of Violet on Angelos book shelf, it was her and Nico fast asleep slumped against her bedroom wall.

"She isn't in Russia but I think I know where she might be," I replied.

I walked through the hallway hearing distant yelling in Italian coming from the office, Tobias voice booming through the hallway. I knew Angelo hadn't told Tobias and Nico about Roman thinking Leo was responsible but I assumed at some point Angelo would be forced to tell them. Although I knew for a fact they wouldn't tell Leo, i wondered how long they would keep this all a secret from him. 

"Malik!" I heard a voice shout as I neared the front door, I turned around to see Nico storming towards me, his face contorted with anger as his heavy footsteps seethed with anger. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion watching as he got closer.

"What did you do?" he shouted as he without hesitation shoved me against the wall. Although he was older I still towered over him which made him less threatening. 

"What the fuck?" I muttered as I pushed him away from me. He stumbled backwards before catching himself. I took in a deep breath, her absence had broken them all but especially Nico, it was apparent. He appeared skinnier, his eyes sunken making the cascade of darkness under his eyes highlight the fact he hadn't slept in days. Not only did I lose Violet but they all did, they all lost her. 

"Why did she run away from you? What did you do?" His words seethed with anger as he threw a punch at me avoiding me but his fist connected with the wall.

"I didn't do anything" I replied, his eyes narrowing as I glared at him.

"What did you do?" Nico repeated. "She wouldn't have just ran away from your house for no reason"

I gritted my teeth as I watched Nicos fist prepare to swing again. I didn't want to fight him; I didn't want him to get hurt.

"Nico" I warned my voice becoming quiet, Nicos eyes still narrowed as he clenched his jaw. "I'll tell you but not here" I said as I looked down the hallway.

In the chaos of our lives, we needed unity, not division. Violet's safety depended on us standing together, and I hoped that in time, we could face the truth together; to save her.