run fast for your mother

A sudden jolt ran through my body as my feet connected with the ground, my knees threatened to buckle thanks to the sudden impact but I couldn't stop now, I had to keep going. The words of betrayal could not leave my breaking mind, it was all an illusion. I wiped the tears from my cheeks as I took off running. I knew I had to get far away from here; I needed to warn my family. The bright lights from the lamp posts in his yard made me too visible. I couldn't allow myself to be caught before I got to warn them. I changed my direction as I began to hear commotion from within Malik's house. I couldn't run through the streets. I needed to get back home without being seen. Much to my dismay I headed for the forest knowing that only there would I be provided with the concealment I desperately needed. I pushed past leaves and branches which clawed at my face leaving shallow scratches.But that was the least of my concerns, at least now I was concealed.

I knew forests, I knew how to navigate even the most unfamiliar ones, I had spent many nights sleeping on the forest floors back in London so I knew more than anybody that this forest right now is both my ally and my foe. But right now it was my best option. The crispy leaves crunched beneath my feet as I continued running, the sounds from Malik's house growing faint as I ventured deeper, eventually I was left with silence. I could barely make out what was in front of me in the darkness besides the crescent moon which hung over the horizon. I knew I didn't have much time left of nightime, the sun had almost set in the east but I also knew if I kept running east I'd find home.

My laboured breaths grew louder as I continued running occasionally looking up at the moon, I knew I couldn't stop not even for a second. I slowed down my running as I saw a faint light shine through the foliage in front of me, I squinted my eyes as I realised the light was coming from my home. I slowly moved the branches past me as I quietly crept out from the edge of the forest. I was across the road from my home but the bright lights illuminated even as far as the edge of the forest. As I got closer I realised the fence which surrounded my home was wide open and my dads guards were standing all along the property line, barking orders at each other. I watched as a black car sped down the street and pulled into our driveway, my heart dropping as I realised it was Malik's car. I instinctively backed up and hid behind a tree on the edge of the forest, my heart racing as I tried to think of a plan. I leaned my head against the tree as I sucked in a deep breath. My phone began to vibrate in my jacket pocket snapping me back into reality, I narrowed my eyes as I was unable to recognise the number calling me. Against my better judgement I answered the phone, my shaky hand bringing the phone to my ear as my lips parted softly.

"My fragile Violet" A deep masculine voice spoke with a thick Russian accent. I didn't make a sound as I continued holding the phone to my ear, my eyes widening as I tried to control the panic growing in my chest.

"You must be so afraid, so scared; you poor little thing. And now you will watch your family die... unless"

"Unless what?" i whispered

"Such a beautiful voice, well unless you turn around right now and leave and you don't look back. You never contact them again and you go far away and well then no harm will befall them"

"How can- how do i know you aren't lying?" I ask, my voice breaking.

As if on cue a dark blue car pulls up by the fence as a man with a sniper gun and a black mask steps out and begins shooting at the guards, he turns around towards me and waves eerily.

"I think you'll find i never lie, now what do you choose?" The man over the phone chuckles.

"Please don't hurt them, I'll go- please" I pleaded as the sniper got back in the dark blue car.

"Good girl"

Maliks car begins speeding after the dark blue car down the street.

"Would you like to do the honour of choosing how that Riverva boy dies? Buried alive perhaps? or more stylistically Stabbed to death?" The voice asks.

"No" I answer through gritted teeth.

"Really? Even after he signed away your life? After he betrayed you?" The voice chuckles

"You will not touch him. I haven't gotten even yet." I answer as Malik's car comes to a complete stop.

"If you try anything or tell anybody where you are going and they will all die" the call went silent.

I turned around and snuck back into the forest as I began running towards the town square, there were bus stops and banks. I didn't know where exactly to go but I knew who to call. My cash was in my bedroom and I couldn't get it. With no other option I called the only person who I knew could help, but I couldn't let her ask any questions.

"Aaliyah" I said as I brought my phone to my ear still continuing to run through the forest.

"Violet! How are you? I was just thinking about you" Aaliyah answered sweetly.

"I'm so sorry Aaliyah but I can't talk for long. I'm in trouble and I need your help, I need money.Please don't ask any questions, "I said as I heard Aaliyah take a deep breath.

"Whatever you need Violet"

"Okay it's all set up, you can get the money now" Aaliyah said as I heard a faint keyboard clicking.

"Thank you Aaliyah, i'll get you the money back"

"It's okay Violet, be careful." Aaliyah pleaded.

I took the phone down from my ear and threw it onto the forest floor as I continued running to the edge of town square. I couldn't risk anybody tracking me.

After I collected the money from the ATM I got on the next bus under a fake name. The bus was going directly to Germany, luckily far enough away, which is exactly what I needed, I needed to get out of the country. I knew I wouldn't stay in Germany, I knew exactly where I wanted to go.

I watched as the bus drove away from the town square, away from what was my home, the sun beginning to rise as the bus drove further away. The memories I had made in my short time here all rushed through my mind but somehow it felt as if I was escaping the horrors of the past, escaping to a life where nobody knew who I was. I thought of Malik, I thought of his smile and the way his eyes would light up when he laughed– no Violet I thought to myself as I shook my head softly.

I hate him but there is such bleakness in this barren world knowing the person who knew me best betrayed me the worst.

I nestled into my bus seat as I prepared myself for the extensive journey. I looked around at the strangers on the bus, some of them families chatting happily excited for their journeys, others were couples who smiled as they leaned on each other's shoulders. My heart sank as I sucked in a deep breath. Nobody will ever know my past, nobody will ever hurt me again.

I stared out the window of the bus for almost the whole journey, anxiously picking at my nails as we got closer to Germany. When we finally arrived I bought the next train ticket to Paris and decided to visit the pharmacy as I waited for my train. I knew all of my movements would be tracked so I needed to change my appearance, I couldn't let it be easy to follow me. I bought a box of black hair dye and a change of clothes and boarded the train, going straight to the train bathroom to change.

I washed out the hair dye in the train bathroom watching the water turn black, I dried my hair with my old shirt as I changed into my new outfit. Black jeans and a black top. My knife fell from the pocket of my old pants making a loud noise as it landed on the hard tile floor. I picked it up feeling the coldness of the blade in my hand, I ran my thumb over the engraving as I looked into the scratched up bathroom mirror. I hardly recognised myself. My new dark hair made the darkness under my eyes stand out even more so,my face was filled with superficial scratches from the trees. Once again I was completely alone in the world, and that's how I wanted to keep it. I sighed as I placed the knife in the pocket of my new pants.

"For protection" I mumbled to myself.