the pawn

Maliks POV;

"Where the fuck are we going?" Nico growled from the passenger seat, his eyes staring daggers at me as my hands gripped the steering wheel tightly.

"I don't know" I mumbled as I rubbed my forehead with the back of my thumb. "Nobody else can hear what I'm about to say" I continued as I took in a deep shaky breath.

"And nobody will." Nico stated, he was growing increasingly impatient as I tried to order my scattered mind.

"I made a deal" I muttered as I pulled over on the side of a quiet desolate road. I peered over my shoulder to the empty dark road behind us; at least I knew we weren't being followed.

"What?" Nico asked as he looked over to me.

"I made a deal. I had it all planned out; I was going to kill him before he could lay a finger on her. I was going to kill him before-" I confessed; my heart filled with pain as I thought of the betrayal Violet must be feeling; The pain I never wanted to ever inflict upon her. My gaze remained on the empty road in front of us, my hands still gripping the wheel as they balled into fists.

"What did you do?" Nico whispered. "What did you do?!" He repeated, anger seeping through every one of his words.

"That's why Violet ran away from you; that's why– Roman must have told her your plan and she got scared." Nico remarked as he brought his shaky hand to his face.

I looked over to Nico as he sat with his face in his hands. "How did you know his name?" I asked. Nicos jaw instantly clenched as his gaze flickered to me.

"Because Rivera you're not the only one who wants him dead," Nico replied.

My gaze flickered to my watch as I clenched my jaw, we didn't have much time left...

"Violet isn't the only one Roman is after," I admitted as my gaze turned back to Nico.

"Who else is he after?" Nico asked, his eyebrows furrowed.

"Leo; he is after Leo" I replied as I ran my hand through my hair. 

"Why Leo? What did Leo do to him?" Nico asked.

"Because Roman believes Leo is the cause of Bianca's death; the cause of his sister's death" I explained as Nicos eyebrows remained furrowed; confusion evident across his worried face.

"Bianca... She was Leo's friend from class. But she went missing, she didn't die" Nico uttered.

"Her remains were found a few months after her disappearance; it was presumed to be her remains" I elaborated as Nico rubbed his hand along his chin.

"What a fucking small world" Nico sardonically mocked under his breath.

"And now Roman wants to kill Leo and is what? using Violet as a pawn to get to Leo?" Nico questioned.

"No It's never that simple with Roman; Roman has something big planned I'm sure of it. Something that will force Violet to stay with him".

"We have to tell Leo..." Nico whispered, his once harsh voice filled with panic as he paced along the side of the road.                                                                                                                                                            My gaze darted to the night-sky; still it remained void of stars. The dark inky black covered the sky like a blanket hung so high above. I wondered if Violet was watching the sky too; I hoped so.

"I think he already knows" I replied as I leaned against the hood of my car. My gaze averted from the night sky, falling onto Nico's panicked face.

"How do you know that?" Nico asked as he paused from pacing, his eyebrows furrowed as his heavy gaze fell onto me.