until nightfall

Third person pov

Leo sat on the edge of the doorway concealed within the depths of a dark alleyway. His backpack hung heavy on his shoulder like it was filled with bricks. He looked to the sky as the sun began to creep into the early morning sky. A part of him hoped for it never to rise and another hoped it would rise faster because then he could see Violet, even if it would be the last time.

He too had accepted that this may be his last sunrise. He took in a deep breath as the morning sun began to light up on the alleyway, he knew he would have to find somewhere to hide until nightfall.

Leo looked back to the sunrise, his eyes dancing along the colours that melted together. He wondered who would greet him in the end, who would be waiting for him at the gates of heaven? He hoped Bianca would be one of the faces he would see.

A pain panged in his chest at the mere mention of her name, for so long he had wished to never hear it again. To never think of it again. But now he wished he could say it again and to hear a reply.

Leo's mind wandered to his family, to his brother, to his father. They, like him, had been through so much, lost so much and he had now he had given himself so willingly only to put them through more. But he knew that they were falling apart without Violet and would only continue to crumble.                                    

Leo never felt like he was similar to his brothers. He never felt as if he was as tough as them, as strong as them leading him to feel like an outsider. At times he wondered if he belonged there, if he belonged in his own family. But since Violet had come back it felt as if he belonged again because she too felt like an outsider. It was As if his family was whole again. Violet in the short time she had been home had made such an impact, not just on the family but on Leo too. Leo hoped Violet knew that.

The sun fell onto Leo's face, lighting up his sombre expression. He took in a deep breath as he was snapped out of his thoughts. He knew he needed to get off the streets and away from view. He didn't want to jeopardise getting Violet back by being discovered.

Leo looked to the sky once more. His eyes tracing its horizon as he felt the sunlight on his skin. Wherever he ends up after all this goes down, he hoped he could feel the sunlight again.

He stood up and turned to the door behind him. Inside was where he had spent last night. An empty deserted stairwell but at least it was concealed. He hesitated for a moment before stepping inside but he knew he couldn't linger in the exposed alleyway any longer. Leo's eyes adjusted to the darkness as he stepped through the doorway. But not for long as a sudden blow to the back of his head blurred his voice. Leo stumbled as he tried to find his attacker but the blurring of his vision proved that to be a challenge. Leos dizzying eyes landed on–

"I'm so sorry Leo." Bianca whispered. Her eyes already filled with tears as they searched his face. Leos once tanned flushed face now was a shade of porcelain. His once blurred vision began to clear but still he believed his eyes were deceiving him.

Leo opened his mouth but as he did Bianca quickly covered it with her hand. "Don't make a sound." she softly warned.

"I'm sorry but this is going to hurt." Bianca warned again before hitting the back of Leo's head with the barrel of her handgun. Leo's backpack slipped from his shoulder as it came crashing to the cold ground along with him.

Violet

The morning sun began to creep into Violet's room. The thin streams of light illuminated Violet's face as she laid in bed, but she was not asleep. No, she had not slept for a second as her thoughts kept her awake. She knew her every move was being watched even here they were being monitored by Roman. Just like Bianca had told her. Violet shuddered at the thought of Roman watching her. It made the hairs on the back of her neck stand up. She also knew that her actions needed to be calculated. She needed to not appear as if she knew anything was amiss.